1. Default 1917 Winchester help

I was recently given a 1917 Winchester Bayonet and was looking for some info on the blade itself (rarity, value etc) and was looking for info on the best way to restore the blade and where to find a handle/grip for the bayonet as I would like to keep and show the blade.

the blade has some rust and both grip pieces and screws are missing.

I think it is the original Scabbard going by images I have seen online although the scabbard is slid into another leather part that attaches it to your belt (stamped 1940)

any help would be appreciated

2. Default

Try lightly cleaning the blade and metal parts with OOOO steel wool and oil and see if you like the results. I don't think I wood do much more than that for refinishing the blade. Keep an eye out on e-bay for handle parts. You could also check Numrick and Springfield sporters to see if they have handle parts. Parts for british bayonets (1907 model?) may also fit but you would have to cut the grooves in the wood. Check e-bay for winchester bayonet prices. The british common wealth countries used leather and canvas frogs to hold the bayonet scabbards.
    john

From what I understand, the grips for the British model 1907 bayonet will fit. www.brpguns.com/1907-bayonet has both the type one (grooved) and type two (smooth sided) SMLE grips. I'd think that the grooved (type one) grip is what you're looking for. They also have the screw/nut pack you'll need. Unfortunately the damage is done to the steel. Clean it up the best you can with steel wool and oil. You may wish to treat the leather with something such as 100% Neatsfoot Oil or a more modern preservative such as Pleckard's (sp?) Antique Leather Preservative.

BTW, There's one of these currently on e-Bay. Probably used by the British Home Guard (aka: "Dad's Army) with the huge supply of M1917 rifles sent to England after the massive loss of British equipment @ Dunkirk. Item # 271226873383

That's Pecards. Great stuff - just used it to treat my recently-acquired M1881 Varney scabbard, which had some really dry red powdery areas - a night and day improvement in appearance.

Use Pecards, Not neatsfoot oil. A saddle shop should have it if a shoe repair shop doesn't

I believe that IMA should have the grip assembly. At least that's where I got mine,complete with the mounting screws
    Last edited by John Sukey; 06-25-2013 at 12:44.