Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default M1 Carbine Broken Bolt

http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/ca...to202.jpg.html
    My grandson has an Inland carbine serial # 202xxx that just had the bolt crack next to the extractor. As he is in Calif right now I don't have the bolt or rifle but I am inserting a picture of the crack. I will get the rifle next week and pull it out. I had put new parts in the bolt myself a year or so ago and there was no problem. To my knowledge he was not shooting reloads but old carbine ammo. Any opinions or comments on this and also does anyone have a bolt?

Metal Fatigue, possibly?

If the they break, that's where it usually happens. There's a number of them on E-bay. Gun Parts Corp has used ones, complete assembles $90-$170 depending on make. Stripped $65-$95.

That is where the weakest point is on a carbine bolt. The type 2 flat bolt was an attempt to add some more beef at the extractor to help
    prevent breakage and while they are an improvement there are still some that do break.

5. Default

Update: Got a new bolt already and thanks for comments. Much appreciated!

6. Default

I had a bolt failure 20 years ago shooting cast bullet reloads. I would bet it was a partially out of battery discharge when mine cracked. it chipped the corner of the right lug lock area of the receiver.

Had the same thing happen to an M1 rifle bolt in the same place. Fortunately before I fired it. Was assembling a rifle and took the bolt to the NDI shop, they magnafluxed it and found the crack. Got a freebie from our unit armorer to replace it.
    Last edited by John Sukey; 06-19-2013 at 09:15.

Quote Originally Posted by budster View Post
    Metal Fatigue, possibly?
    I would say metal fatigue probably. This sort of possibility is the reason I don't "push" old milsurp rifles. Everything has a use life, including things made out of steel. Even a receiver can only be re used so many times.
    Last edited by Art; 06-20-2013 at 09:46.

9. Default

The bolt, firing pin and the extractor are the weakest links on the M1 Carbine next would be the gas piston housing and the slide spring. IMHO Every carbine shooter should have a spare complete bolt.
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 06-21-2013 at 09:24.

10. Default

John, Next time you might want to paste the IMG link from photobucket and your picture will appear in post.