Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo Supply

Got 5 bricks of .22LR Thunderbolt at the local farm store last week for $24.95 each. They had plenty but a 5 brick limit per customer. .223 Winchester was $12.95 per 20 with no limit since they had over 10,000 rounds on one truck. They also had plenty of .308 at the same price. They had a sale special on Ruger .380LCPs at $314.95 and several brands of AR15s for $695 to $995. I quit with the .22LR ammo because I didn't need another gun.
    Bob - Southern Indiana Chapter OFC

OMG.................a hoarder, look over here another of them hoarders. Just teasing. Carefull Bob some of the dumbchits here will label you as one of those evil hoarders. Good to see that your local dealer is getting some ammo to sell, they need to sell the stuff to make a buck so they can keep the doors open. Today at my local dealer he had something I hadnt seen in years and years 22 long so I bought 1 whole box just for me to shoot LOL.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

My grandsons are 14, 12 and 11. With bolt action rifles, mind you BOLT ACTION rifles, they can go through a brick in a little over 2 hours. Notice that I didn't buy the .223 or .308, just the .22s. The first year that the CMP was in existence a friend and I went over to Camp Perry the first week of that year's national matches (that's when the Major was still working with CMP). The shipping dock of their building was stacked with cases and cases of US milsurp ammo and since it was the first week it was nothing but us and all the young kids shooting .22s. Both of us were in a member club but my friend was only into .22s and the limit on ammo was one case of each caliber per member. I got a case of everything there, 30M2 ball, .30 carbine, .45 LCNM, 7.62 and 9mm. I had my friend get a case each and we loaded my wife's brand new Chevy Malibu until it was riding on the frame all the way back to Indiana. The price of all of it was dirt cheap, like 7 or 8 cents a round and I've still got a lot of that ammo left. Sadly by the next year someone had told CMP what that ammo was worth and the deals weren't as good but I still got more. I was a happy hoarder!

Oh yeah, all you Johnny-come-latelies can just read that and weep!
    Last edited by Bob - The Beagle Master; 06-20-2013 at 11:41.

Good on you for your planing. A lot of what I have has been accumulated over the years and most of it "many" years ago. I wish I had bought truck loads of it now, I could help out family and friends even more than I do now. To soon old to late smart......oh well.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Default Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt is highly unpredictable. Usually I expect about 3-4 percent duds. I don't recommend it. The Federal in the 40 rd. boxes with neat plastic loading blocks... That is also dud city, and FTF as well. Those are two manufacturers to stay away from, at least in regard to .22LR; sorry- that is my experience.

The OLD Remington stuff was good. White box standard velocity was great; and the Yellowjackets were every bit as good as CCI stingers. Sad there has been such a QC problem. Just my experience. Remington even sent me a replacement 525 rd bulk pack of Thunderbolt and the replacement was just as bad as the first one.

You probably are right but right now you take what you can get and besides that bolt guns will shoot most anything.

Remington admitted to me that some of the duds I returned to them had not been primed at all. Even a bolt rifle cannot fire a round with no primer compound in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    Remington admitted to me that some of the duds I returned to them had not been primed at all. Even a bolt rifle cannot fire a round with no primer compound in it!
    I quit using Remington rimfire ammo when I shot several boxes of Vipers with very inconsistent reports when fired. One would go "bang" and the next "pop." I have bought some Federal lately just because it was available but my usual taste in rimfire ammo is CCI or Aguila, both of which are accurate and reliable, at least in my experience.