Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Supply

Angry Ammo Supply

This might be a new thread, but I thought it might be worthwhile to get everyone's updated opinion or facts as to the ammo supply problem. Dealers told me last winter that the supply problem would be pretty much over by summer. Summer is here and still no ammo in GA... unless you want to pay some outrageous price for it. Even .22lr can't be found here. Walmart says that guys find out when the supply truck will arrive and hang out until the ammo is unboxed and then they buy it all....even with the number of box purchase restrictions.

2. Default

Same around Austin Texas early bird gets the ammo

From what I've seen where I live most popular calibers are available though some are still pricey and many are still rationed. 9mm Parabellum, .38 Special, .45 ACP and .40 S&W can be found at only modestly over pre panic prices but take a bit of shopping. 7.62x39mm is readily available now and reasonably priced. 5.56x45mm/.223 is less available but can still be found but the prices are still pretty high. 7.62x51mm Nato can also be found but is expensive stuff.

.22 rimfire, in fact any rimfire.....forget it. The hoarders/speculators are still stocking up and there is a lot of resale of all rimfire calibers at wildly inflated prices.

A lot of popular powders are still virtually unavailable here, as are projectiles in certain popular weights especially for rifles in .223, .308, and pistols in 9mm (.355,) .357, .40 and .45 calibers. Primers are coming back on the shelves though. It actually is tougher to re load around here than to buy loaded ammo which under the circumstances is really spooky.

On another note, the racks at dealers are now loaded with "black rifles" at mostly pre panic prices, though some dealers are still selling AK clones at somewhat inflated prices.
    Last edited by Art; 06-13-2013 at 05:51.

I have noticed that ammo is starting to show up on dealer shelves. Not a lot at a time but a steady flow of pistol rounds and some 5.56 every week now. Lots of steel cased is appearing but most people want the brass cased ammo instead of the steel. Prices are not that bad in reality compared to what they were during the panic buying. If this keeps going then I would guess by fall the shelves will be stocked with ammo. But powder for reloading rifle ammo and bullets are just not to be found yet.

5. Default

When the hoarding is over, the hoarders will have one heck of a hangover when they can't dump their hoarded goods.
    This will be the time for the shooters to get a good deal taking all that ammo off the hands of the profiteers.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

So, what could a person expect to get for 5,000 rounds of Yello Jacket .22 LR right now?

very few buyers!

I don't know but I walked away from 70 per brick of the Rem. .22lr standard velocity a few days ago and it's some pretty darn good ammo, I didnt see any other buyers for the stuff.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Well I guess a person would have enough to use for some time then. A person would be wise to just keep it.

Academy is still the best place to buy in the Houston Texas area. I have a buddy who picked up a brick of Remington .22s for $21.00 last week, it was rationed one brick to the customer. I usually stop in to any Academy I drive by in my regular course of business just to see what they have and today I got a 100 round box of Tula 9mm brass case ammo for $27.00 and a box of Federal .22 Long Rifle hollow points for $2.19. They are still rationing but they usually have at least some of the more popular ammo in and they aren't gouging.