Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "To shoot, or not to shoot, that is the question"

I stripped and did some cleaning of the 1899 carbine I described below and took a good look at the barrel. The bore is excellent, as are the internals. However, the outside has quite a bit of pitting with some "chunks" looking like 3/32" deep (although I have no way to measure.

While it IS my decision and I put NO "burden" on anybody on the forum, but what do you think? Shoot or not shoot? Or if I shoot, just light loads?

(Again, apologies for the hasty pictures!)
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 06-10-2013 at 07:54.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I shoot loads which are typically about 3 to 5 grains below starting loads in my Krags because they shoot well and I see no reason to work those old guns harder than that. Plus, recoil is pleasant. I would shoot your gun with any of my loads.

Save your brass, save some powder, save your shoulder.

Pushing it for Elk, that is a game I will leave to others....

I'm just wondering if the barrel can take it. I have developed some very light loads, using six grains of Red Dot, which produces about the kick of a 22 Magnum, if that.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I'd have to wonder what the condition of the barrel/receiver threading is like. Personally, I'd not shoot it. Nothing to gain, possibly some to lose.

You're probably right - it is tempting, given the condition of the bore and the internals. But, on the other hand, I given the same information countless times in regards to low numbered M1903s - why take the chance when there are other rifles at hand with which there is no question of safety.
    --C.S. Lewis

I would use the truck tire test meathod if the urge absolutly overcomes you.

Should have been method.

As I said above, I may try it with the light load I described above, but I don't think I'll use anything "full" on it.
    --C.S. Lewis

Rick,

There's way more American steel there than there is pitting. I'd shoot that piece, yeah maybe start out with the truck tire "meathod" but work up to a light load that shoots well - something in the range of a 32-40 velocity and bullet weight. And I would defiantly take it to the range and show it off to all and sundry.

jn

10. Default

For what it's worth, I had a carbine 30+ years ago that was rusted as badly as this one, and I shot the heck out of it. Doesn't make it right though.