Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

Default Strange Japanese Rifle (?)

A friend of mine sent me this photo of Japanese troops on Corregidor. What kind of rifle is the man on the right holding??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hard to tell...

but it looks like a sporting rifle, rather than a military one. Possibly captured with the defenders of Corregidor.
    Actually, I'd like to imagine I can make out the front sight, shadow of a Lyman 48 receiver sight, and suggestion of a cocking piece knob, which would make it a sporterized Springfield, maybe even an NRA Sporter. But that's stretching what can actually be seen...
    mhb - Mike
    Last edited by mhb; 06-10-2013 at 11:54.
    Sancho! My armor!

The guy holding it does not seem to be wearing all the gear the others have. Perhaps an officer? Using anything he wants? It sure is a sporter, I agree, probably a captured rifle.

In Col John Olson's book "Anywhere-Anytime" the history of the 57th Infantry PS on Bataan, shows on page 154, that Gen Wainwright presented Col Lilly on March 11, 1942, his Springfield 1903 sporter. I am sure some of the US officers purchased either NM 1903's or 1903 Sporters during the 1930's as personal weapons. The rifle in the photo sure looks like a 1903 Sporter !

Default I'd like to think...

that, if it is an NRA Sporter, it had earned its owner, whoever he was, some few notches.
    You could do a lot worse than an NRA Sporter for that sort of shooting match.

mhb - Mike
    Sancho! My armor!

That almost looks like a Krag carbine he is holding but it's hard to tell from the photo. What ever it is it's definitely not a full size rifle.

Default Almost definitely not...

a Krag carbine: the barrel is too long, the stock is wrongly proportioned, and has a pistol grip, among other details. It does appear to be a full sized 1903 (the Sporter and the issue rifles both had 24" barrels), if that is what it is, but with the (a) sporter stock.

mhb - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    That almost looks like a Krag carbine he is holding but it's hard to tell from the photo. What ever it is it's definitely not a full size rifle.
    Sancho! My armor!

Did '03 sporters have hand grooves in stock?

Front sight looks to me like it matches the profile of an 03 sight perfectly.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Default No...

they don't. At least, the NRA Sporter does not.
    This is another of the uncertainties about what we see in the photo: are there finger grooves? But the profile of the stock, especially the fact that it is pistol-gripped, make it obvious (to me, at least) that this is not a standard Krag carbine. Then, too, if those are finger grooves on the stock, the sideplate of the Krag magazine should be visible, as well, were it a Krag action.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking with it...

mhb - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Did '03 sporters have hand grooves in stock?
    Sancho! My armor!