Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Narrowing it down

Made it to the nearest 100yd range today. I've been playing with a variety of powders under the Nosler 168 trying to get something that would shoot less than the 3 moa I was averaging. I've narrowed it down to a couple, finally. Best of the day was a Swiss made powder, same stuff I've been using in the cast load above, SPP210. It's supposed to burn at 4198 speed. Loads in my 6x45 indicated it does, but there are fellows on castboolits.com having problems with it, one says he gets 200fps less with the SPP210 than he does with an equal charge of 4198, another says he has to reduce his charges of SPP210 to get the same velocity as 4198, and others say they're getting hangfires. Anyway, I decided it try 28gr of it today under the Nosler and shot a 5 shot 100yd group with the 1902 sight that was 1.9" wide x .75" tall. Three X's and two tens on the SR-1, two of the three shots in the X ring touching. I don't know how fast it's going, targets don't care anyway, but 2.3gr less gives me 2000fps out of my K31 with a 164gr cast bullet, so I'll guesstimate 2100-2200fps out of the smaller case of the Krag. I also got some good results with IMR4007SSC, 41.8gr of it under the Nosler gave me a nice 1.6"wide x 1.4" tall 5 shot group that dropped about an inch less than the SPP210 load, so I'm guessing it might be going 2300fps. I'll continue to work with these two powders. Eliminated from the competition were Russian 4895, AA2015 and some surplus flake powder for 50BMG plastic training ammo that burns about Blue Dot speed.

I think I can get a little more accuracy out of them by neck sizing only, all this testing has given me plenty of fireformed cases. After I had a couple jams in the match a few weeks ago I did some work on the magazine and it feeds spitzers better now, so I think I can also seat the bullets out further and get a little less jump to the rifling. Weighing and sorting cases might improve things too.

Griff, I had several model 92 or 96 carrier and follower assemblies. Comparing them, I could see that the rear of the carrier, the little tab in the center of the follower, had been modified, ground down. This allows the carrier to contact the rounds higher on the case, raising the nose of the round that's ready to feed up. I picked out the one that had been ground the most and it raises the sharp nose of the Nosler above where it was getting stuck in the crack between sideplate and receiver. Feeds like a dream now. Could be these were being modified by unit armorers and led to the changes made to the 98 follower. I had several heights of tab to chose from, the one that was in it hadn't been ground on at all. Too much up might be the cause of the dreaded "bullet catches on the chamber edge" syndrome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Madsen,

looks like you have vertical stringing licked! That's the big issue with most milsurps IMHO. Good going. You might want to borrow a chronograph if you can. They are pretty affordable now and a lot of shooters have them. What they are good for is checking your loads for consistency.

jn

Maybe someday I'll get one Jon. I got higher priority items on my want list right now. #1 right now is a centering vise so I can make use of couple bullet mould cutting cherries that I have. A little hand turned vise is about the same price as a chronograph.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I think case weighing and sorting will definitely be a help. I just took the five cases from the 4007 load in the center above, and took a good look at the primers while wearing two pair of glasses. Three of them showed more radius at the edge than the other two. Deprimed and cleaned the primer pockets on the one with the most radius, and the one with the least and found a 25gr difference between the two cases! They had been trimmed and primer pockets uniformed before firing, so there was no difference in their length or primer pocket depth. They were old REM-UMC 30USA cases. I thought the ammo makers were more consistent back then!

I'm taking notes on all this!
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Don't forget the two pair of glasses! LOL! Anyone wants to use any of the above is more than welcome to it. Maybe next year, if I make it, I'll be shooting some of my 2000fps cast loads Mark. More notes to take with them, alloy composition, casting temp, mold temp, load, etc.! I have cases to weigh, better get at it, fast running out of testing time.

I was gonna practice every Sunday. Dreams and reality collided. Time is running out.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Yes, I have to keep that standing position from being my undoing. I used to be better at it! Weighing is all done. It appears I had cases from two lots. One that runs from 160-168gr and another that runs from 187-192gr. So I can cut the 25gr variance substantially, down to 3gr or so. Got some I'll have to get fireformed before neck sizing only, I have some 150gr FMJBTs and lots of a fast burning powder that'll take care of that little chore. Hey, the record is only 293 4X, we ought to be able to top that! LOL! I think I should ask for a no-wind day, no, just a no-wind Fri AM! Oh, and no jam ups on feeding for any of us. On that note, I found that pushing on the shoulder of the last case into the magazine with my finger before shutting the gate eliminates that with the Noslers.

I think we ALL should top that Bob!!!

I'm with you Mark... I'm going to practice practice practice from now until the match!

Good luck to all of you! I lived through my share of back-east muggy summers and man, I don't think I could do a match in a heavy jacket in the peak of the midwest heat. But I'm with you in spirit .. where we get night-time temps in the 40s and 50s.

Too bad you can't ALL win.

jn