Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default 30-06 loose pockets and pierced primers

I loaded 60 LC cases with more than 10 loads and 60 once fired Remington with a load of 46.5 imr 4895 with a 155 gn bullet and WLR primers. The LC cases have some pierced primers on the radius of the primer and a loose pocket. Please explain why cases with loose pockets have primers that pierce at the radius.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

did you length size the old brass ??
    and what did you shoot them in
    Last edited by Litt'le Lee; 06-06-2013 at 05:16. Reason: add info

Blog Entries

I've been using the RCBS X-Die, trim once and forget it. This happened on the same shoot with an M1 and a 1903. Both have minimal headspace.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I'm guessing what you are seeing is gas leakage around the primer pocket from an eroded primer pocket. In my guns this results in an eroded breech face, primer pocket diameter.

Ten loadings is about all your going to be getting and it's time to recycle those cases. I think Doug is right and leakage around the primer is what your seeing.

I know, we hate to see them go, but they can only take so much.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Ten loadings is about all your going to be getting and it's time to recycle those cases. I think Doug is right and leakage around the primer is what your seeing.
    The x die does stop cases from stretching thereby needing a trim, thereby leading to the thin spot above the case head. I knew life would be ended by a loose pocket or split neck, but I'm seeing actual pinholes in the primers, Winchester LR's. Some of the Korean brass I've loaded has had a little leakage around the pocket, but this is new. Yes is was a PITA to photograph this, lol!

Last edited by PhillipM; 06-07-2013 at 03:12.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)

Try some CCI primers. They seem to be tougher and fit tighter in the pocket. That's why I switched to them.

Check the very tip of your firing pins . The gas leakage might have eroded and roughened the tips , giving a sharp burr that's leading to the piercing .
    Chris

Its sounds like your an experienced reloader but just to cover the basics I assume you are getting a full seat on the primers...correct. Similar issue came up with friend who was a novice. In inspecting some of his reloads he hand about 1 in 10 with not fully seated primers. No offense if you've loaded for years but this reminded me of that so I mentioned it.