Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Ol' Number 1"

Hybrid View

I heard that MOST of the M1s sold in those days, at least by Kleins, were L/L M1s.

I have a L/L M1 very close to yours (which I did NOT get in those days, unfortunately!), 329,895.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 06-07-2013 at 07:14.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

One of my first was a Winchester M1 carbine I bought back in 1955 when I was 15 yrs old before there were any legal carbines in civilian hands. Any of them around had been illegally liberated from the government with a few exceptions back then and were kept out of sight. I had saw an ad in the Shot Gun news for a carbine built up on a suplus receiver purchased from Winchester and with a bill of sale from same so legal. Sent the money in, $60, and I always remember when I picked it up at the Post Office, the clerk came out carrying the box and asked me if it was my birthday. I did have my 16th birthday coming soon so I answered yes. Well he said it looks like some one sent you a 22 rifle for your birthday. LoL.
    I would go to the range with it and it always drew a crowd watching me shoot it as it wasn't until the 1960's that you were able to purchase carbines legally through the Government Marksman program. Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 06-10-2013 at 03:42.

Shooter5 Guest

Ishapore 2A1; an India arsenal made copy of the No1 updated to fire the 762 Nato cartridge and a No4 in 303. Paid about $75 for each twenty years ago.

Just a note, your rifle was not refinished in suncorite, that was applied when it was made

Thanks for the correction - I had thought that Suncorite was not used on earlier British rifles as an original finish. I also have a similar finish on a Inglis 9mm, as well.

(Coincidentally, the Inglass was my first high-powered pistol -- although purchased some 33 years after the Enfield)

Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 06-07-2013 at 02:34.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Shooter5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    (Coincidentally, the Inglass was my first high-powered pistol -- although purchased some 33 years after the Enfield)
    Got to see the Inglis factory buildings in Toronto before they were torn down. It was a huge complex.

Default My first mil-surp

Here's my first one. I got it sometime in October 1962. $12.95 and included 50 rounds of ammunition. Other than being almost a smoothbore now it is still in great shape. It's a 1917 Lithgow #1MkIII.

For those of you who complain about the lack of military surplus ammunition - this rifle and I are part of the reason there isn't any!

Quite a while back I ordered three rifles (C&R). They were dropped off on my front porch with no signature. Can't remember if it was the brown truck or not.

9. Default

My first rifle was an M1 Garand that my uncle got for me when I graduated college in 2006. I still have it and like Rick it's in my never sell category.

10. Default

My first was an old ratty Brazilian Mauser carbine in 7.62x51 got it when I turned 18 back in 2001. Oh the days of getting a box of LC 70's 7,62 for $6.25!
    Last edited by rifles4me; 07-04-2013 at 07:08.