Default Numbering of Krag Bayonets

I just got a 1901 dated Bayonet with a scabbard at a price I could not pass up. The bayonet is in good shape and perfectly normal in every respect except it has the number 362254 stamped deeply on the "US" side of the cross-guard. I am quite certain this was not US Army practice from what I have read. Since this is a possible serial number for a late 1898 Krag, could this perhaps reflect numbering practice for a National Guard organization or maybe a military school? I have bought and seen a fair number of Krag bayonets, but I have not previously seen one marked like this?
    Last edited by 11mm; 06-04-2013 at 05:54. Reason: typo

It's anyone's guess who numbered this bayonet, except it's safe to say that it was not done at the time of it's manufacture. I have examed a large number of Krag Bayonets and have never seen one numbered like this.

I can only second what has been said. Krag bayonets were not numbered as standard practice. It would have to be an isolated case.

Someone may have put the crossguard from a Swiss bayonet on it. They were numbered, and the Krag bayonet was patterned after it. Crossguards were a bit different than the Krag, handles were similar. Good pic of the numbering on the model 1899 and 1918 here: http://www.swissrifles.com/bayonets/
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Are you sure it's not a modified 1903 bayonet?

DSC_0001 2..jpgI am sure it has nothing to do with either the Swiss bayonet which I have also, or the 1903. I enclose a picture.

Very nice added at a later date for who knows what reason. Never seen that done on a Krag boyonet before.

Quote Originally Posted by sdkrag View Post
    Never seen that done on a Krag boyonet before.
    Or a "girlonet," either!!

(It's a relief to see someone else make typos besides me!! - RE: my "Kragh" ammunition post of a month or two back!)
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 06-07-2013 at 03:50.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis