Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 03 clip loading problems

I cant figure out what it is, but perhaps others have had a similar experience they were able to rectify.
    On every other clip, the follower gets stuck with only 2-3 rounds loaded. It is always angled to the left or right when it jams up.
    I now believe, the scumbag who sold me the rifle put it together from parts of various manufacturers (there are a few indicators of this elsewhere). So the follower is narrower than the magazine sides. Spring is fine but the follower also has a tendency to jump up past the lips of the magazine that are keeping it in place.

Im a match shooter and this is a major problem if I am to ever master the rapids. Worst case scenario, I'll just switch out parts with another SA 1903 I have.
    Last edited by LARscout; 06-04-2013 at 02:43.

Quote Originally Posted by LARscout View Post
    I cant figure out what it is, but perhaps others have had a similar experience they were able to rectify.
    On every other clip, the follower gets stuck with only 2-3 rounds loaded. It is always angled to the left or right when it jams up.
    I now believe, the scumbag who sold me the rifle put it together from parts of various manufacturers (there are a few indicators of this elsewhere). So the follower is narrower than the magazine sides. Spring is fine but the follower also has a tendency to jump up past the lips of the magazine that are keeping it in place.

Im a match shooter and this is a major problem if I am to ever master the rapids. Worst case scenario, I'll just switch out parts with another SA 1903 I have.
    The stamped follower on my SC A3 looks to be about 3/16" - 1/4" narrower than the side walls of the mag well; if you depress it down into the well you can move it side to side about that much. With the follower fully "up", I can maybe manipulate it enough to the left so that the RF corner will rise up enough to be about level with the top of the receiver rail, but that's the extent to which it rise.. This won't cause the follower to jam. I seem to recall this issue being mention a short while ago. I believe that someone mentioned the possible use of an M1917 spring as the source of the problem.

3. Default

Here's a recent thread that deals with another feeding problem and has some good description of 03 vs. 03A3 followers and springs: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...03-Double-Feed I would also look for any gap between the top of the magazine well and the bottom of the receiver, the follower can hang up there is the gap is big enough.

Just a thought, but the stripper clips most available today were really made for the 7.62. They 'wiggle' when inserted into the clip guide on my 03's...and the rounds tend to jam up when you push down on the top round.

The stripper clips made for the '03 fit tight, no 'wiggle' at all. Never had a mis-feed with them.
    Last edited by Dan Shapiro; 06-05-2013 at 03:47.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

5. Default

I use the stainless steel clips from Creedmoor or Champion. They work real well, I've had mine for years. Using dummy rounds and a little practice goes a long way. Also, taking a third loaded clip to the line is a good idea. If you have a problem during a reload, you can grab the spare and use that. I've never had much luck with surplus clips, the ones I've been told are for the 1903 (and I'm not sure they were) looked pretty flimsy, maybe for one time use only. I would still look at the rifle for the problem, would be interested to know what finally solves it.

Blog Entries

I use USGI clips because they are the only ones that are rounded on the ends to push the ejector out of the way if it's flopped over in the recess for the lug. I tweak them with pliers on the end to make sure they are tight. Mine have only one tab folded down and I use a rubber band to secure the cartridges until it's time to load.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    Just a thought, but the stripper clips most available today were really made for the 7.62. They 'wiggle' when inserted into the clip guide on my 03's...and the rounds tend to jam up when you push down on the top round.

The stripper clips made for the '03 fit tight, no 'wiggle' at all. Never had a mis-feed with them.
    Here's the difference between M14 and 1903 clips. 1903 clips will have two tits on each side.

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

8. Default

Remember, 30-06 ammo clips were only supposed to be used one and discarded. Usually the little tips broke off on the first use. All rifle ammo was packed clipped.

See if there's anything here that helps:

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...72dd48c97ed684

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

The Champions Choice stainless stripper clips are far and away the best. Much faster than GI.

Function is better than nostalgia; just my opinion. Square corners are no problems.