Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

John would be the authority on that one. What did the MOD call them? Also who made them? Were they used a great deal or something the troops tossed in a ditch?

Most of them were shot off. The door blocked the sight picture and didn't fly open as theory intended. Should have been opened manually as designed but didn't always happen that way. Especially when encrusted with mud and whatever. There are still some showing up with a bullet hole through the trap door. Canvas covers proved to be more reliable, easier to affix, and less costly.

They were an evolutionary thing like many gadgets during wartime. A lot of different rifle mounted wirebreakers and cutters were tried too among other things. I don't think you could mount the flap, wirebreaker, and grenade launcher all at the same time.

In the past I've wondered if the flap ever hung up on the bayonet muzzle ring, hence the doors being blown off?
    Last edited by JB White; 06-03-2013 at 08:19.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Wire breaker lined up the bore of the rifle with the wire. Theoreticaly when you fired the rifle it cut the wire and as an added bonus, sent a bit of hate toward the germans
    There were two kinds of wire cutters.
    1, you hooked the wire and pulled back the rifle to cut the wire
    2. You shoved the rifle forward and the cutter pivoted to cut the wire.
    The wire breaker and the cutter were hekl to the rifle by fixing the bayonet
    You are correct, that only one ot these gadgets could be mounted on the rifle at a time

Its fake but cant post lnks to show it.

Sorry been away 5 months sick in hospital fightin big C like gimp

Know lot of folks here dont much care for porch sitters like me and have big operation to deal with but hope to make it back. Sad bout all the kids. Id trade places in a minute if I could. Over and out.