Default A closer look at my RIA '03 today

I had the afternoon free, so I sat down with my LN M1903 described earlier, Nick Ferris' fine book on the RIA and a magnifying glass. Found a few more details:

1) after VERY cautiously doing a little disassembly, found the plugged hole in the forestock, showing that the stock was a former 30-03.

2) Don't know how I overlooked this earlier, but the front sight protector is a USMC - the curve of the protector clears the top of the front sight blade by a considerable amount. I'd be curious to know how one ended up on this rifle. I've decided not to remove it.

3) There is a "slot" in the back of the front sight base, identifying the barrel as a former 30-03. Of course, the 6-05 date could practically guarantee that!

4) Pete and RCS - the difference between the sight slide on your rifles and mine indicates you had the earlier (1905) model of this particular part - mine is the later (starting 1906) slight slide.

5) Considering the serial number, the receiver MAY have started out as a Rod Bayonet. RIA made 18,000 sets of rifle parts with RB features. Of course, only a relative handful ever were assembled and none were issued - again, according to Ferris' book.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 05-15-2013 at 04:22.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Rick - You had the upper band off and you didn't keep going? I want to see that early FRSB! With the plugged forestock, we know it has the early base. I see those screw heads aren't perfect and I know you have some good hollow-ground bits....

Mike

Oh yeah, the USMC sight protector.....it's been shot........so it's goin' to the range, right?

Just kiddin'....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    ....it's been shot........so it's goin' to the range, right?

Just kiddin'....
    Funny ...I don't see any pigs flying!!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Hatcher hole?
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain