Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '03 Double Feed

Generally, stamped followers work better and more reliably than the milled.

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

2. Default DANG!

Well, the replacement spring is ordered...didn't see Kurt's last message till the order was placed, or I'd have ordered a stamped follower at the same time.

I ended up ordering through Numrich, as that spring wasn't enough to meet Bill's minimum order, and I couldn't find anything else on his site which I wanted to spend money on right now. That is a FIRST! However, going thru Numrich I was able to get a needed part for a shotgun, so I'm still killing 2 birds with one stone, and will cross my fingers that the spring is all it takes.

MTF, and thanks again!

Steve

if you have a milled trigger guard, stick with a looped spring, and milled follower, mixing the parts will give you issues.
    avoid Gunparts corp...pure junk..
    you would do better on Fleabay. at least you can see why you get before you buy, and can leave a feedback..
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

4. Default

Chuck, what's a looped spring? Didn't see a reference to that in the TM, and '03s are new enough to me to not understand the reference.

I concede your point about ebay, but the horse was out the barn door before your post. If it doesn't work, I'll try ebay; meanwhile I'm hoping it'll be right.

Steve

the loops is were the spring bends..1903s and 1917s have a loop at the bend, 1903A3s dont
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

6. Default

The new spring came from GPC today, ordered Thursday, delivered Tuesday, no complaints there! The spring appears to be original GI in the cosmoline; I'll clean it up tomorrow afternoon and get it in the rifle, then report back with status.

Chuck, thanks for the clarification. The new spring is a looped spring, for sure.

Steve

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gpw_42 View Post
    I'll clean it up tomorrow afternoon and get it in the rifle, then report back with status.
    Cleaned and installed...works well with dummy cartridges and snap caps. Saturday is my club's vintage military match - I may well take it out to see how it goes with some Greek M2.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Steve

8. Default

I have one 03 action, very high S/N, which feeds like this. I tried an A3 follower, and it corrected the problem.