1. Default Lee-Enfield India-made 'Carbine'

A guy on FaceBook is selling a Lee-Enfield and doesn't know much about it. I think it is a Nr1 Mk1 that's been cannibalized. I don't have my SMLE books at hand right now so I can't look to see the reference that a person mentioned.

Markings are GR Enfield 1903 LE I and also GRI #1Mk3 1962.

The receiver has been modified by removing the clip guide, rear sight has been replaced with a shortened elevation ramp with peep sight, and front sight/guard has been replaced and moved rear ward so the barrel extends at least 2-3 inches beyond. The safety is on the right side of the bolt, the rear volley sight is missing as is the receiver portion of the clip charging slot. It does have a front volley sight, what appears to be an appropriate magazine, the cut-off for single rounds, and the bolt has the slide catch with the clip charger on it.

I have never seen anything like this before but supposedly it is mentioned in 'The Lee Enfield Story' by Skinnerton.

Is this a legitimate 'carbine' or is it an Indian hack job? I would buy it for parts but the seller wants $600 (plus shipping, etc.). I've offered $250 but it seems some one thinks I'm trying to rip the guy off. I've never seen anything like this before, so I'm curious if it is worth what the seller wants or is my bid for a parts gun appropriate or too high.
    "Besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Without seeing it, my guess-assumption-opinion is it's an early LE brought to MkIII spec, reworked in India, eventually surplused off, then reworked again in Bubba's tool shed. If so then odds are you'd be hard pressed to get $250 worth of undinked with parts out of it if that's all you want are parts.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Ahm gonna make me a reel valable sportin rifle outta this old army gun

I'd bet hacked up junk. IMHO offer $125.00 tops or walk away. Sounds like a money pit.

Last edited by goo; 05-20-2013 at 11:39.
    "I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round up a flea's ass at 200 meters."

Who could ever forget about those Gibbs hysterical refakes? Good ones make decent truck guns and bad ones make good looking door props.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**