1. Default How does one replace the extractor in a Winchester 1917?

I broke the extractor and have a new replacement but can't figure out how to remove/replace it from the bolt. I tried "stretching" it but I'm concerned it's going to snap or break.
    Help please ... thank you!

Not much too it really. Rotate the extractor 90 degrees so that it's between the bolt lugs. Get a screw driver under the extractor behind the extractor "tongue" and pry upward so as to disengage the tongue from the bolt groove. With the tongue held elevated so as to clear the groove, push the extractor forward so as to disengage the collar. Reverse the process to reinstall. That's all I've ever done

Like any Mauser type the front of the extractor has to be lifted up out of the groove that it rides in and driven forwrad. Once it clears the front of bolt you can let it relax and continue tapping forward. Very hard job and you realy need to have bolt clamped in a vise, very tight. I used to do it regularly on new additions, to clean. Always afraid I would brake extractor and quite removing them!
    Last edited by dave; 05-13-2013 at 10:24.

4. Default

Brownells sells an extractor removal tool for $24.99. It works like a pair of pliers which compresses and holds the ends of the extractor collar so that the extractor can be slid on and off. I've had one for yrs and have used it on all of Model 1917, Pattern 14, M1903 and Mauser bolts. Its a nice tool to have if you do a fair amount of putzing around with these models.

Here is a good illustrated guide.
    See figures 10-12 for removal and for reassembly figures 20-24.
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/m1917/bo...mble/index.asp

D.

Rather than prying up on the front span, I push down (toward the bolt body) with my thumb on the long (rear) span while also pushing forward. That bows the extractor lifting up the front. It will usually slip off without any tool.

Cass

Holding the extractor collar ends to-gether has never been a problem for me. Never found a need for a 24 buck tool.
    My fingers are no longer strong enough (if they ever were) to push down the long span and raise the hook. Good idea, if you can do it.