Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Found one cone shaped stone bit which worked really well. Stayed up way past my bedtime but I got the sights replaced and coated the dots in Duraglo and flourescent yellow front dot. Can't wait to go to the range and see how much worse I shoot with upgraded sights....LOL

Thanks for the advice and photos. I peened it and then epoxied it too. It might stay in place.
    Last edited by Guamsst; 06-02-2013 at 06:41.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Ok, after several trips to the range and hundreds of rounds of ammo the front sight is still tight. Makes me a little concerned about the "Gunsmiths" that replaced them and then they came off.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Delete duplicate post
    Last edited by Oyaji; 10-05-2013 at 08:39.

Why dick around with it? Any thing worth doing is worth doing right. Send it off to Novak to have the slide milled and new sights installed.

http://novaksights.com/products/sights/index.html

Oyaji, if you're going that route why buy cheap Novaks, put a set of these on.

"Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas"
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Why dick around with it? Any thing worth doing is worth doing right. Send it off to Novak to have the slide milled and new sights installed.
    I invested $25 and some time in mine and had it done in one evening. Care to qoute price and turnaround on having Novak mill and install?

7. Default

Installed tightly, the tenon sight is superior to the dovetailed front - which can move - and looks better and is cheaper to boot. Dovetailed front sights belong on Kentucky rifles and Brown Bess Muskets - where they originated. Not modern handguns. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Colonel, most of the better dovetail front-sights, like the Kensight on my Rock, are pinned once windage is settled. Mine is rock-solid sir.
    Last edited by Dave Waits; 10-14-2013 at 08:48.
    "Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas"
    Jeff Cooper

9. Default

Pinned does indeed work, if you must have a dovetailed front. I think John Moses Browning made the right choice. He had not heard of the United Autoworkers Union, apparently....

But all the extra work to install a dovetail is totally unnecessary, if the tenon style is done right - which it was on over a million US Military M1911s, and hundreds of thousands of civilian 1911s.

Why cut a larger chunk out of the front of the slide, locate the sight, then drill and pin it? Even if the tenon was not done correctly initially (and if it is a Colt it is under warranty - free fix), it is still easier and cheaper to correctly replace it than to do a bunch of machine work. And the tenon front sight looks like it grew there, and cannot move - no pinning required. More elegant, more "modern". CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Col. I agree. What point is there to a dovetailed front. Unless you plan on replacing the front sight often there is no benefit. You can adjust windage from the rear sight so the front dovetail is unnecessary.