Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    ROFLMAO his desktop looks like my coffee table. Not sure what I will do when the Fiance gets back to the states, she is easygoing but WILL NOT allow me to keep a vice on the coffee table...LOL
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

OK, I think the vice grip thing will be the way to go. I'm ok with slow or a little harder to do.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

I would think you could silver soder it on also?
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Aw heck, just weld the sight on. You're going to paint the darned thing anyway. Remember life is not like a box of chocolates. Life is like a bottle of pickled jalapenos. What you pick today, will have consequences tomorrow."If you ain't got the time[or the where-with-all ]to do it right, when will you have time to do it again?". JM not so HO. Nick

blah blah blah, spend the money, Oh lordy lord pay a gunsmith....LOL

I asked to see if it could be done right without the high dollar tool. If I wasn't concerned about doing it right I would have taken a hammer to it already....LOL The fact is, most specialized tools are unnecessary but very convenient. For example, $20 barrel removal tools for the CZ-52 works great, but only 5% better than any other metal rod that size.

Welding actually sounds like a great idea.....as long as I never intend to change the sight again.

Guam;
    Use a Dremel ands a 1/8th" Ballcutter to remove the old tenon in the slide dish as shown.

Next, use a 1/16th,longnose punch to punch the old sight out.

Clean up and square the tenon hole,insert the new sight, make sure it is running straight, trim off all the tenon that sticks out above the slide dishout, rest the slide upside down on a steel surface to support the blade and Whack the tenon with a 1/8th." longnose punch. I showed the punch and sight hanging over for clarity on where you strike.

After the initial strike,move the punchnose around and strike the tenon, spreading it out. Then file off anything sticking out that could interfere with the bushing and you are done.
    Last edited by Dave Waits; 05-14-2013 at 04:06.
    "Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas"
    Jeff Cooper

7. Default

Clear and concise, very helpful. Thanks.

Dave, Thanks. This is what I was thinking of doing originally but wanted someone else to verify it was a valid idea before I tried it. New sights are on the way. We will see what happens.

9. Default

Two local "gunsmiths" worked on my SA 1911A1. Both times the new sight came off. I then sent the slide to Novak and had a dove tail front sight put on.

Well, will probably finish this tomorrow. I am 600 file strokes into fitting the rear sight and think I am about 400 away from getting it fit. Will have to find my dremel bits too. May be more cost effective to go buy a new set I have no idea where I put those bits.....LOL