Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Default

I needed to edit this. The book I have is the Speer 10th edition loading manual.

My RCBS reloading manual has a good chapter on loading black powder fire arms. The hows and whys. Don't recall the revision # of the book, but I bought it new in the early 1980's
    Last edited by Fred Pillot; 08-01-2013 at 02:03.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

2. Default

Just some thoughts on BP, if you want extreme accuracy you measure by weight, it is about the only way you will be consistant shot to shot. Many BP shooters who compete, pre make their charge by weighing. It is not a good idea to load out of say a powder horn. If you are using a musket with a minie ball use pure lead, save the alloy, 20-1/30-1 etc for breechloaders. 3F gives great accuracy and is most likely used by more shooters at N-SSA than any other powder, some use 2F, never seen anyone use 1F

now for some examples from personal experience Springfield 2 band musket, bobby hoyt barrel .577 bore, hogdon wad cutter which weighs about 405 grains,cast from a .578 mold sized to .576, 45 gr goex 3f, german cap around 1" groups at 100yds, ragged hole at 50. Sharps 3 band 1863 rifle by shiloh sharps, 54 cal shooting rapine ringtail, 64gr 3F in a charlie haun tube, CCI 6 wing cap, 2.5" groups at 200 yds. 1862 H & P smoothbore, 690 bore, 684 round ball rolled on a farriers rasp coated with alox, 75 grains 3F german cap, ragged hole at 25 yds about 3" groups at 50yds. All above accuracy from a rest, in my shoulder a tad bigger 1858 Remington Rev, 454 round ball, 20 grains 3F, german caps, 1" groups in ransom rest at 25yds. good lube 3 parts crisco, 1 part beeswax, there are others that also work well, the idea is to keep the fouling soft. If you want to spend a bit extra $20 vs 13 a pound buy Swiss BP about as accurate as it gets and burns cleaner. been shooting CW smoke poles for over 50 yrs many people are suprised how accurate they can be.

Anyone know the original black powder load for the 38 S&W cartridge.
    3F black ???
    Jim C
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jim c 351 View Post
    Anyone know the original black powder load for the 38 S&W cartridge.
    3F black ???
    Jim C
    Thanks
    The Winchester 1894 catalog lists 14 grains black powder but does not specify a granulation.
    Last edited by JBinIll; 05-31-2014 at 04:28.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

JB,
    Thanks,
    Jim C

And a note to the new user of black powder......Dawn dishwashing detergent.
    And a heat gun--from another thread!

Quote Originally Posted by k arga View Post
    start off charge will be as a rule one and a half the caliber, 45 cal about 60 gr 3f,
    I assume you speak of rifles? Never saw a revolver chamber that would hold 60 gr. except maybe a Walker or dragoon. It would be a hefty load for any pistol.

8. Default

Static Electricity won't ignite black powder. Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Z5yAeO3dw

9. Default

My Swiss powder comes in black plastic containers. I would really like to believe that the "black" is from graphite added to keep any static electric charge from building.
    I would like to believe this, hope I am right.

Quote Originally Posted by ebeeby View Post
    Others will be able to give you a lead on a BP 101 book. But I wanted to make the point that BP is very unstable and static sparks can have tragic consequences. Therefore, plastic must NEVER be used around BP. You also need to think about where you will store your BP in the metal cans it comes in.
    Powder measure is done with a scale using grains.
    Bullets can be cast or purchased and bullet lube is extremely important.
    Powder measuring with BP should be done by volume. If done by weight and the charge does not fill the case, cornmeal, cream of wheat or some other like substance must be used to fill the remainder of the case. All loads MUST be compressed!!!
    Last edited by Dolt; 07-27-2017 at 07:42.
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment