1. Default New to the 03, What can you fill me in about my rifle.

This is my rifle.

Springfield, SN 1075570

The barrel date is 42. (edited)

I have been shooting it at 600 and 1000 yards. It shoots very well.
    Last edited by momtotwo; 05-05-2013 at 07:21.

Early 1919 Mark I receiver, replacement WWII barrel; replacement stock and possibly hand-made (or modified) handguard. Possibly refinished post-military, but hard to say for sure. Nice wood!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

Thank you! Yes, I am totally in love with the wood. It is so beautiful! I have had it apart to replace the trigger in it with a Timney. We did have to mill out the stock a little to put it in which I hated but it was all in the inside so from the outside you can't see it.

Thank you so much for the fast response. I am excited to know the 'birth date' of my rifle. My dad gave it to me this year. I was going to buy one from another guy and he told me not to because he had this one.

He has another one that is older. I told him to save it for my older brother. It is the one he shot and he bought it new to him when he was 16 so it is more of an heirloom. This one, he said he never shot. I have about 150 rounds through the barrel now. It was brand new before that. I have another barrel that I can put on there if I shoot this one out but considering I have an 03a3 and 2 Garands and several other things to shoot, I don't think I will wear it out any time soon.

You mentioned a 1944 barrel - are the initials above it "SA", "RA", HS or a S in a circle?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

They are 'SA' and I was mistaken...it is 42, not 44.

It is still a replacement barrel. A real nice "looker"!
    --C.S. Lewis

7. Default

yes, I figured it was.

Thanks for dating the receiver for me. That is very interesting to know. I didn't know were else to look. This forum was recommended at m14forum so I came over. I am enjoying reading and learning about my rifle. I also have an 03a3 so I have much to learn. my 03a3 is a recovered drill rifle. It is not beautiful but it shoots good enough.

Welcome to the forum - there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, so don't be shy about asking questions.
    --C.S. Lewis

Welcome to shooting the most accurate US military bolt action rifle ever made. Like my Grandson says....Springfield rules...........