Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My maximum rounds fired from the .460 in one day is 50. After 25 I start to loose accuracy. After firing that .460 a .40 S&W feels like a .22LR.

I've shot the .454 Casull for years. I don't have any problem hitting into a 3-4 inch circle at 100 yards. That's without
    a scope. I reload several different types of bullets, but the 300 grain jacketed soft point (stoked with 30 grains of 296) is
    my favorite for hunting.

Yes, you can hit with it but it takes lots of practice and it's not for those adverse to recoil. BTW, I started with a .44
    magnum back in the 70's and put thousands of rounds through it. The .454 I use is the Taurus Raging Bull, which is
    one fine handgun. The weight and ergonomics make it easier to shoot than you might think.

Several years ago, a friend at work bought a s/s 5-shot revolver made by BFR chambered in .45-70 Gov't. He also bought an extra cylinder chambered in .450 Marlin. Talk about a handful! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gatofeo View Post
    Marketed to the Slackjaws with more money than brains.
    I have YET to encounter anyone with a .454 Casull that could hit much with it. Minute of apple box was their group size. For most, the .44 Magnum is the upper limit of power with which they can wring decent groups.
    Probably half of the .44 Magnum owners I encounter can't keep their shots within a 6" circle at 25 yards, standing upright away from the bench, with a two-hand hold.
    They don't care so much about accuracy, they just like the muzzle blast and recoil: every shot, they turn back to their buddies with a stupid grin.
    Meh.
    I put more stock in marksmanship than power. After all, a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44.
    A good friend & lodge bro carries a 5 1/2" .454 Casull with near max loads in it as his carry gun on their farm/ranch........... an old broken mouthed cow that had just calved, damn near killed Roger when he went to load her calf into the back of his pickup.................now he carries a heavy loaded .454 or .45Colt & he is a dammn good shot............. but keeps his practice rounds to 50 cartridges or less fired the last that I knew..........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

I find 45 Colt comfortable as well as 45 Auto. The former in a SSA and the later in a 1911 pistol. That makes the big difference, the gun you are using. I have yet to find a gun comfortable in 9m/m, tho I have not tried them all, of course. A Polish Radom is not bad---but it is much like a 1911, isn't it?

6. Default

Thankfully, I have no use for anything bigger than the .44 mag cal. in a handgun. (no permanent wrist damage?? perhaps.) I guess you wouldn't have to hit what you were shooting at. The muzzle blast should stop about anything.
    Didn't know Thompsons could fly. Glad I wasn't standing behind him.

I've got a T/C in 45-70 with the muzzle brake. It's a handful. If you're not careful and get a good hold on it, it will come out of your hand. I'd rather have one without the muzzle brake so it wouldn't come straight back in recoil, but would swing up in recoil. A friend shot it once and almost dropped it. He didn't want to shoot it a second time.
    I took a customer out behind the gun shop one time because he wanted to shoot an American Derringer in 45-70. He also took a Past glove to wear. What a fun time, for me. He wanted to shoot it but knew it was going to hurt. He would get ready to pull the trigger and his hand would pull down in anticipation of the recoil, he would grunt, but his finger wouldn't pull the trigger. When he finally pulled the trigger, after about two minutes, the firing pin fell on an empty chamber. He had only loaded one chamber. Long story short, he fired it two times. It took over 5 minutes to fire both shots because he repeated everything he did on the first shot on the second shot. After each shot he would yell and scream, and shake his hand. His hand was a bright red and the Past glove was tore and ripped. But, he didn't drop the gun.

8. Default

I suppose that I should have said more 'powerful' than the .44 mag. I do have several .45 ACPs and an older unfired Ruger in .45 colt. And a Ruger .357 Maximum.
    Dave, try a TZ 75 in 9MM sometime. ( full size )