Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1950 s&w m&p

In1970 the Metro PD paid 8500 a year to start, thats about 4.08 an hour, With bennies I made more as a sgt in the army.

noslack

Yep, entry level Fed LEOs didn't start out very high. In 1972 I started at $7,319.00 plus about $1,800.00 quasi mandatory straight time pay for 10 hours a week of overtime. It really wasn't that bad at a time when $10,000.00 was still a salary most aspired to. You and I started out at about the same pay in two cities with comparable costs of living.

Being sort of a gun guy I wanted to carry my own revolver. My first privately owned duty gun was an 2" S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece that I believe I paid about $150.00 for. Nice pistol, very nice pistol in fact. I used to get kidded about it because at the time the fashionable guns for plain clothes officers were Chief's Specials, Bodyguards, and Detective Specials. The movie "Dirty Harry" started a trend to larger revolvers for the law dogs when it came out.
    Last edited by Art; 05-01-2013 at 07:26.

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

Thank you, sir. I knew that was a large force and the question was probably a long shot, but had to ask.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

Default M&P with Duel Duty grips

My 1949 M&P has the Duel Duty grips which were often carried by the armored guards picking up deposits during the 50's and 60's

Remote Utah desert west of Salt Lake City.

Very nice M&P revolver.
    I cannot believe that 60 years from now, shooters will smile with glazed eyes while looking at an old Glock. The old Smiths and Colts have a wonderful panache.
    I'm sure you know, but other readers may not:
    Don't shoot +P ammo in that old Military & Police. Smith & Wesson says that +P is only safe in revolvers with model designations. This means S&Ws made in the late 1950s, with the model number stamped on the frame under the cylinder crane.
    I'm sure you had no plans to subject such a fine, old revolver to +P ammo, but others who wondered now know.
    "A vast desert. Galena in flight. Smoke. Brimstone. Holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused."
    -- The Quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)