Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default German Sport Guns .22LR Stg-44

My new Vepon! Ok basically it is more of a model gun capable of shooting than it is a useful firearm. In this corner, weighing in at over 10 pounds, it's the new heavyweight champion of the world's .22 LR "assault" rifle replicas. The weight is authentic, which is nice. A functioning tangent sight, fully adjustable, provision for an M-98K sling, operating ejection port cover, dummy charging rod, and nice wood complete the illusion. The rifle comes with one 25 round composite magazine. The left side is quite convincing but the right side of the mag has a slot in it that a follower lever tracks in. The plus side is that this feature makes it easy to load.

Incidentally to hit at 50 yards, point of aim, point of impact, my rifle's rear sight was jacked up to one yomp below the "10" mark, so it looks like it is ready to shoot 500 meters. The more I shot it the more the groups seemed to tighten up.

The post front is a needle point as on a 98k. Accuracy was OK, about inch and a half off the bench at 50 yards with Federal semi auto match. My club restricts semiautos to loading 5 rds, even .22's, so I was not able to do much rapid fire, but there were no stoppages after about 75 rounds loaded 5 rounds at a time. I think a little silver rub'n buff on the sharp line angles of the plastic mag would make it more metal looking and convincing.

The trigger is adjustable and I plan to play with that. The literature that comes with it indicates that a 10 round mg is available. This would be good for bench rest, as the standard mag is so long there is just NO WAY to shoot it unless you let the mag hang down behind the bench.

It comes in a yee-hah wooden crate with burned-on Wehrmacht "dirty bird' sans "Schwarstika" as Trevor Howard would say. Kind of a P.I.T.A. to get out of that thing. when you lift it out the buttstock will not be installed, and be advised, the recoil springs are going to start popping out of the rear end. All in all, a fun addition to the military gun collector's armamentarium, a very practical alternative to trying to buy a real one at about 26k or even the new 8mm Kurz replica at ~5k(?)... but not nearly as useful as a good Ruger 10-22! Buy it for fun and you will enjoy it; cost is about $570, retail.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 04-25-2013 at 04:17.

I just recently saw that model in a magazine and knew nothing about it. Thanks for the report. Now when I am asked, I might remember that a guy in TX likes his !!

A while back I ordered a GSG 5. After waiting 13 months and no rifle I cancelled the order. I doubt I'll ever order anything form them again at any price.

My FFL got it from his distributor in 5 days, not from GSG direct.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 04-26-2013 at 10:48.

Got one on layaway. Will look good with other wwii weapons while on display

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post

The literature that comes with it indicates that a 10 round mg is available. This would be good for bench rest, as the standard mag is so long there is just NO WAY to shoot it unless you let the mag hang down behind the bench.
    The 10 rnd mag is the same length as the 25 round. It has a block installed to limit the capacity.

Ok well I guess I will not be buying one of ThOSE. Good info.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 04-28-2013 at 07:08.

8. Default

I have a GSG 1911, love it. Always works, accurate. Except for the recoil, it feels like a .45.

That actually sounds like a selling point, if you are using it as a trainer to help your .45 shooting.

10. Default

I won the pistol at an FNRA dinner and I have a history of never winning anything. After the nice surprise, we shot it the next day and just had a ball with it. It shoots everything, high velocity, standard velocity, hollowpoints, any brand. A buddy of mine has a Sig Mosquito and it's the opposite, very picky on ammo. A good gun in these times when you have to shoot whatever ammo you can find. I would like to try an Stg-44 like you got, they just look so cool and it appears GSG really tried to make it as true a replica as they could. $600 sure beats the $27K quoted above for an original. And, in more normal times, you can actually afford to shoot it!