Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45/70 mossie

S B can we get a little more info on the rifle.
    thanks
    kurt

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by k arga View Post
    S B can we get a little more info on the rifle.
    thanks
    kurt
    When I see my son next. Probably this weekend, his daughter has a 4-H range session. I've seen it but, never went with to shoot it.
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

AFAIK, neither the Mauser (Siamese or otherwise) or the Moisin-Nagant was EVER "originally chambered" in .45-70.

If you want a .45-70 bolt gun, get a Remington-Lee. No conversion needed. Also, a detachable magazine.

Not original 45-70. The Siamese cart was rimmed so bolt and magazine needed nothing (or almost nothing) done to them. They were popular as original ammo is and was hard to find and expensive. Now the rifles are worth big bucks, would be a shame to alter one, but actions or otherwise molested examples could be found. They were converted by importers, so they could sell them!
    Last edited by dave; 07-10-2015 at 12:20.

Blog Entries

Looks to have been done.

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Back in 1981 a good friend had one of the Siamese Mausers that was converted to.45-70. Whoever the gunsmith was... he did a great job on doing it. With judicious hand loads, worked up very gradually... we got within 10% of Winchester's factory .458 Winchester soft point loads in velocity. If you have a good gunsmith do it.. & he understands the need for opening up the magazine & how to do it...you'll be okay... I'm sure that a smith could google the proper dimensions & the proper way to convert it.............Roger's rifle fed from the magazine without a hitch..my understanding was that this was the tricky thing to do right... the first time.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter