Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45/70 mossie

Default 45/70 mossie

Is it possible too turn a 91/30 mossie from 7.62x54 into a 45/70? I am thinking that since the rims of the rounds are about the same, it might be possible. An if it is possible, who could do the work?
    AIM TRUE, YOU MIGHT HIT THE TARGET:

A couple of decades ago I remember a conversion to .45-70 of Siamese Mausers. I never actually put my hands on one but I understand they worked ok. Of course that was a commercial undertaking where a lot of rifles were converted.

It sounds like a really expensive proposition. You'd have to find a place to have a barrel made that would be threaded to fit a Mosin-Nagant receiver, that alone sounds real expensive. The first thing to do, it seems to me, would be to see if a .45-70 cartridge will fit in the magazine and feed.
    Last edited by Art; 04-22-2013 at 07:14.

Or you could just buy a 45-70 Marlin lever action

Had one, did not like it so off it went. if was going too go lever action again I would get a 1886 browning. Just like the idea of having a bolt action on a old time reciver. An ER Shaw does make bbls in 45/70 an hopefully they can thread the bbl also.

Just bore the stock barrel out to .45" What's the worst that could happen.....LOL

If you are putting a new barrel on it then I really don't see a problem different from any other rifle. Can a barrel be found to fit it? can the action handle it? If yes and yes then it is a matter of money.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Some years ago I bought a 1871 action with a French 6.5 barrel [Daudetau]
    Put a 45/70 barrel on it. Love it.
    {I already had and still have an excellent 71]

Got onto the er shaw web site. Bbls are cheap enough, but the add on's are a killer--true bolt face-lap lugs-flut bbl-blue bbl. Man that stuff adds up quick. Tried calling them, left message but no return call since I posted first idea. But I will keep trying as I want a 45/70 bolt gun based on the 91/30 action.

8. Default

The Mosin is a nightmare to rebarrel. Just go back to the a Marlin or get a Siamese Mauser action and go from there.
    Forget the Mosin.

Blitz: What makes it a b-auch too rebarrel? Could it be the size of the bbl. next to the reciver or what? mike

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    A couple of decades ago I remember a conversion to .45-70 of Siamese Mausers. I never actually put my hands on one but I understand they worked ok. Of course that was a commercial undertaking where a lot of rifles were converted.

It sounds like a really expensive proposition. You'd have to find a place to have a barrel made that would be threaded to fit a Mosin-Nagant receiver, that alone sounds real expensive. The first thing to do, it seems to me, would be to see if a .45-70 cartridge will fit in the magazine and feed.
    My son owns one and I think it's originally chambered for .45/70? It shoots great.
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson