Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black powder

Terr-ists gonna have to buy those pressure cookers new. Good luck getting any of your female relatives to turn one loose. And no way I am gonna register mine.

jn

PS the cooling off period for a 6-jar cooker is at least an hour.

jn

go to americanlongrifles.com or traditional muzzel loading .com very good places to learn

4. Default

Just got an order of Graf's FFg and FFFg and a lb of 777. This was my first time with 777 and I like it. Clean, lot's of smoke but no sulfur smell. That stuff is pretty stout. I need to check into some loads. Any help would be appreciated.

Triple Seven is a high energy product designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter with higher velocities when used in the same VOLUME as blackpowder. To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%. *See WARNING below.

http://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html

As for black powder going bad, it doesn't! They have found cannonballs from the Revoutionary was where the powder was still good.
    The Navy actualy had a handbook on black powder ammo. One of the Navy bases has exsisted before the civil war and sailors were finding shells in the area, and trying to defuse them as souveniers. Sometimes with nasty results.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    As for black powder going bad, it doesn't! . . . . . .
    Quite right, John . . . .

I remember reading . . . . YEARS ago . . . . . about a British warship, sunk during the war of 1812 I believe, that was found in relatively shallow water in Lake Champlain.

There was some black powder found on board that some of the locals had "purloined" before the authorities declared the wreck off limits.

A portion of this powder was spread out on a sheet of newspaper and placed in the sunlight for a while to dry.

After this, it was found to ignite as well as any of the modern-day black powder! --Jim

I have a bit of 20+ year old FFG-works just fine.

When the Union Gunboat Cairo was salvaged from the Yazoo River in the 1960s,ships guns were found loaded with fused shells and loaded and fused shells were in the ready boxes.After drying out after 100 years under water and mud they were as dangerous as the day the gunboat sank in 1862.

10. Default

Here's an article about old ordnance.

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/civil...450ab0195.html