Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black powder

Default Black powder

If you need or want to stock up, buy all you can afford now. With the Boston bombings and our dictator-in-office, I'm sure there will be restrictions placed on black powder sales. And, same-same for smokeless powder.
    Due to ammo shortages, no warning shot will be fired

Good advice

Quote Originally Posted by broom jockey View Post
    If you need or want to stock up, buy all you can afford now. With the Boston bombings and our dictator-in-office, I'm sure there will be restrictions placed on black powder sales. And, same-same for smokeless powder.
    When I read in the news that the bomb was powered by BP, I thought the same thing. I hope it blows over, but it might not. I've made the stuff myself, but it was not very good. You gotta have really good KNO3, pure sulfur and really clean charcoal. Hard to find.

jn

Yep, I agree if you want it you might want to consider buying it "now" while you still can. If stored properly its safe and will out last most of us. Same for any other components you might need or want. One of the off sides of this is finding it, right now as we all know just about everything is in high demand and short supply. This might be just a rumor but I have heard that the makers are going to raise prices again 10-20%, while this isnt to bad if you could get the stuff but you can't get lots of things right now. I'm pretty happy that my local dealer has been getting a good supply of powder of most kinds. He doesnt stock BP but he does all of the other imitation BP.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

5. Default

I wanted to buy some 777 the other day and the only type I could find was FFg for rifles and shotguns. There was no FFFg anywhere around here. I tried to buy some online but the shipping is brutal.

I was talking with the owner of one gunshop and was told the shortages were due to the government buying up a lot of ammo for the military and that was draining supplies of brass etc. How that would effect BP or Hodgdons 777 is beyond me. I was also looking for some .22 LR which seems to have dried up locally too. I read one article regarding the ammo shortages and some of it made sense. The writer indicating a lot of it was due to hoarding. We're doing this to ourselves. It kind of made sense to me as I vividly recall the gasoline shortages of the 70's. People were lining up to buy gas with half a tank in their car. Everyone was afraid they'd run out of gas. That night, the state went to odd and even tag number fueling system. That meant if the last number on your tag was odd, you could buy gas on odd number days. The problem stopped the next day, people settled down and life went on. About five years ago, we had a similar gas shortage scare pop up again. The governor ordered all gas retailers to shut down at 6PM that night and the next day everything went back to normal. I guess the point of this whole story is, I think the ammo manufacturers are taking advantage of our fears of what the government might do. They limit production, charge more and make a killing. Kind of like the speculators did with petroleum products. My suggestion would be not to go running out and clearing off the shelves. I think this plays into the hands of the companies that produce ammo. I think everyone plays this little game of blaming each other to raise prices.

Here is a notice from the NMLRA.

NMLRA Alert - April 18, 2013

Is this email not displaying correctly?
    View it in your browser.

Forward to a Friend
    Upcoming Events
    Pistol Match - April 19-21

Inline Hunter Match- April 20

National Women's Weekend - April 26-28

NMLRA BPCR Match - April 27-28

Join/Renew Membership
    Senate to Consider Background Checks on Purchases of Black Powder

On April 17th, 2013, U.S. Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) issued a press stating that he plans on proposing new legislation and attempting to amend current gun control legislation before Congress that would require the sales of black powder to be subject to a criminal background check. The entire press release can be read by clicking here. The NMLRA staff is working to monitor this proposed legislation and keep you informed as the situation develops.

According to the press release, Lautenberg will introduce the “Explosive Materials Background Check Act,” which will require a background check to purchase black powder, black powder substitute and smokeless powder in any quantity. His office has also stated that he intends to offer this is as an amendment on future legislation that is being considered by the Senate.

The NMLRA encourages you to contact your elected officials and voice your opinion on this matter. You may use the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s elected official lookup to determine who your representatives are in Congress.

forward to a friend
    Copyright © 2013 NMLRA, All rights reserved.
    NMLRA member
    Our mailing address is:
    NMLRA
    PO Box 67
    Friendship, IN 47021

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences

Great ! That's all we need, another round of panic buying.
    Now we'll have people buying black powder who don't even
    own a black powder firearm.

I think I'll email up the entire Idaho delegation and ak them to vote no on any BP restrictions.

jn

What's next? A background check on pressure cookers?

And a license to have one after you register it. 14 day waiting period="cooling off period"......sounds about right? Makes me glad I have the 3 I already have and use. Maybe a black market item soon, along with Ballbearing sling shot ammo, nails, bolts n nuts, oh hell pick something it's all useable isnt it. Strike any where matches are next, right.
    Last edited by BudT; 05-05-2013 at 12:55.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH