Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is the deal with 22 lr ammo?

I know that ammo is in short supply right now, but in my area it seems that 22 lr just does not exist. I know that 9mm, 223, are also in short supply, but there is a little in the stores every now and again. I had a friend tell me that he had seen some of the 500 round boxes that typically sell for $17-20 going for $70 and up. Made me think, should I take some part of the 10,000 rounds in the basement and put it up on Gunjoker? The real unknown is when and for how much would I be able to replace them? Any thoughts?
    "In God We Trust"

Blog Entries

A friend of mine spoke with the counter guy at WalMart. What happens is there are a few people that show up very early in the morning and wait for it to hit the shelf, then buy all they can, currently a 3 box limit.

I suspect the same thing is happening elsewhere.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Havent seen .22 or any ammo in this area in ages. Conspiracy theory time
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Sure you could sell it, but what would it cost to replace it? The replacement could cost more that you sold it for.

The 22LR is the most used cartridge in the world let alone the US. Just about every gun guy has at least one or more of them. They are the cheapest to shoot so it is always in demand. But people panicked on the ammo just as they did with any round that is FMJ. As the ammo companies end their contracts that are now being filled the supply will start to increase and when it is once again at pre O'Bama levels the prices will be stable and will return to close to what they were before the crazy buying took place.

Hope your right Tuna.

Aligater Guest

Received a note from the CMP saying my order for 5000 rounds of Aguila was being processed and gave me an order number..........Does that mean my ammo is on the way, or am I dreaming.....thanks,
    Ali

You are dreaming. They are out of .22LR, and Orest says they'll receive a shipment in 2-5 months. From a 03/15/2013 posting by Orest:
    The CMP does not have any caliber .223, .22LR, or .30 carbine ammo for sale at either store. We are sold out and expect to receive shipments of these calibers in 3-6 months. We continue to accept orders for these calibers and will fill those orders when we receive the replenishment shipments from the manufacturers. We do have caliber .30-06 ammo at both stores, but a 10 can purchase limit per year per customer applies. We also still have the Atomic caliber .308, but expect to run out in the next 60 days.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Aligater View Post
    Received a note from the CMP saying my order for 5000 rounds of Aguila was being processed and gave me an order number..........Does that mean my ammo is on the way, or am I dreaming.....thanks,
    Ali
    Actually the word is they just recieved 200 cases of standard velocity - and just started shipping it

Man, I'm glad that I bought a bunch of rounds from Sportsmans Guide many, many years ago for $87.00. I knew I'd never use it all and as a matter of fact, have only fired about 50 rounds. I just had a feeling that I'd better get it while the getting was good at that low price.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-27-2013 at 01:28.