Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New M38 Swedish Mauser.

I had some luck at an on-line auction yesterday and scored several new rifles. One was this CG M38. Looks like it is in decent condition. Hard to tell how matching the parts are. Looks like the barrel bands may not be matching, but I understand that is normal for the CG M38's

Pictures aren't the greatest, description was worse. Price was good.
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-09-2014 at 09:24.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

You snagged a good one. Hard to find in that condition anymore. Bore scores good, too.

Ed

3. Default

Thanks, 4F

4. Default

Finally picked up my rifles from the FFL, including this Swedish M38

Metal is in really good shape, wood is a little faded. Bore is what you would expect from a Swede Mauser.

The receiver, bolt and parts, and butt plate all match. The floor plate is unmarked, except for the crown proof. Barrel bands and bolt release do not match. I'm glad that the bolt matches the receiver.

I'll post a range report when I can.
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-09-2014 at 09:25.

I love those "sported" Mausers. Almost every one of my favorite hunting rifles is what collectors call Bubbaized but I call them classic custom rifles. Back in my working days I traveled the highways and byways of several states and every pawn shop or independent gun shop I ran across I visited. I was looking for those Bubbaed rifles and I bought some of them really cheap. My thing was that as a poor working stiff with family obligations I couldn't afford to by a new Rem. 700 or etc but I could spend $100 on a Mauser that had been drilled and tapped. I would slowly obtain the pieces... a barrel here, a trigger, or a sight there and over time and without spending more than $100 I would come up with a custom sporter that was reliable and often very inexpensive. Over a 30 year period I had a .257 Rob'ts, a 25-06, 7MM08, a 220 Swift, 300WM, .264 WM, a 12 ga. shotgun, and of course all the standard military calibers.

My all time favorite is a 1903A3 with a 20" barrel and full Mannlicher Claro Walnut stock. The rifle was "Bubbaed" by the Fajen custom shop in 1973. I found it at a gun show in 1994. The guy that owned it was the son of the long deceased Dr. that ordered the rifle. He told me that it was a really beautiful gun but it wouldn't shoot "right."

I found that the rifle had been made with a longer leade than normal and required handloads with a greater OAL than factory rounds. A proper handload with 165gr. SRA Pro Hunters seated to just touch the rifling and it is a MOA rifle. Just my $.02

6. Default

I made a quick trip to the range last week and fired a few rounds through the new M38. The orange targets aren't ideal for my eyes, but here are 4 rounds of Prvi 120 gr "match" ammo (all I had left) at 100 yards.

I think I could do better with a different target and handloaded ammo.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    I love those "sported" Mausers. Almost every one of my favorite hunting rifles is what collectors call Bubbaized but I call them classic custom rifles. Back in my working days I traveled the highways and byways of several states and every pawn shop or independent gun shop I ran across I visited. I was looking for those Bubbaed rifles and I bought some of them really cheap. My thing was that as a poor working stiff with family obligations I couldn't afford to by a new Rem. 700 or etc but I could spend $100 on a Mauser that had been drilled and tapped. I would slowly obtain the pieces... a barrel here, a trigger, or a sight there and over time and without spending more than $100 I would come up with a custom sporter that was reliable and often very inexpensive. Over a 30 year period I had a .257 Rob'ts, a 25-06, 7MM08, a 220 Swift, 300WM, .264 WM, a 12 ga. shotgun, and of course all the standard military calibers.

My all time favorite is a 1903A3 with a 20" barrel and full Mannlicher Claro Walnut stock. The rifle was "Bubbaed" by the Fajen custom shop in 1973. I found it at a gun show in 1994. The guy that owned it was the son of the long deceased Dr. that ordered the rifle. He told me that it was a really beautiful gun but it wouldn't shoot "right."

I found that the rifle had been made with a longer leade than normal and required handloads with a greater OAL than factory rounds. A proper handload with 165gr. SRA Pro Hunters seated to just touch the rifling and it is a MOA rifle. Just my $.02
    I got a Swede M38 similar to this one a few years ago that came drilled and tapped with the bolt handled turned down and the stock cut down. Paid $125 for it.

I stuck a $100 scope on it and it shoots well.

100 yards with Prvi Partizan "match" ammo.

I need to get out with some reloads...I think they would be better.
    Last edited by Calfed; 06-16-2013 at 03:17.

To me it seems just fine the way it is.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    To me it seems just fine the way it is.
    If you mean the original condition rifle, I agree and have no plans to sport it.

If you mean the one that I got several years ago that has already been sported, I have a plan. My sons and I shoot in a monthly vintage military silhouette match . Until recently we competed in the "as issued" class, although the "open" class (scoped) has always intrigued me. Last year I bought a Persian and this year an Argentine '09 Mauser that had already been drilled and tapped for scopes. I mounted Bushnell 10x40 scopes on them and set them up for the "open" class...

I've shot both of them in the match and they do quite well. My plan is to put the sported m38 back into a military stock and set it up for the match. That way, my sons and I will each have our own "open" class rifle.
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-09-2014 at 09:25.

Actually I ment how the sported one was shooting with the ammo you used it looks good to me.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH