Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smith Corona 03A3

I haven't been around here much lately, but I was looking over my S.C. 03A3 and thought I would post some pictures and a couple of questions. For full disclosure, I am considering selling this rifle ("thinning the herd") and want to be sure I know all I can about it to make an informed decision about it.

I have had it about 13 years and don't recall whether or not I've fired it. It is an excellent looking rifle and I did pay a premium for it back in the day. She's not a virgin and does have some Remington parts, including the bolt assembly (expect maybe the firing pin), trigger guard and buttplate and I think the stock might be Remington (based on the band spring cutout, which I don't have pictured). But I'm pretty sure action and barrel combo are original. SN is 3,664,xxx and the barrel is an S.C. 4 - 43 one.

One of my questions is about the marking, or lack, on the stock. It does not appear to be sanded or refinished as it has the open-grain dark red/brown walnut appearance (photos in natural light washed it out...in person it has much better coloration). But there is only a 1/2" BOXED "P" proof behind the trigger guard (superimposed over a smaller P), a boxed "OG" on the left and a larger "U.S." on the butt. No regular "cartouche" or Ordnance wheel anywhere, nor the small assorted stamps in front of the magazine. There is no letter in the magazine cutoff scallop. What is the significance of the "US" marking and the lack of original acceptance and Ordnance wheel?

What I THINK is that this is an original condition barreled action that went through overhaul and ended up in a different/new stock and was given a Remington bolt assembly and then basically never touched/used afterwards. So how far right or wrong am I? Thanks. On to the pics:

Rob
    Last edited by Teddydog; 04-14-2013 at 05:26.

More pics:

Nice rifle!

Your supposition that your '03A3 was a rifle that went through an arsenal overhaul and placed in storage is correct. The supposition that it was not re issued before it was surplused out is almost certainly correct also.

The floor plate assembly is a Remington replacement part also, there may be others as well.
    Last edited by Art; 04-14-2013 at 05:31.

It looks like a very nice rifle. I would agree that the barrel is a correct date match for your receiver. How many grooves in the barrel?

Your rifle was overhauled and re-assembled from mixed parts at the Ogden, Utah, Arsenal. The barrel and receiver are probably an original combination. But I cannot rule out the possibility that they have not been refinished.

The stock is a field replacement. That would account for the absence of factory inspection stamps.

Someone once speculated that the "U S" marking indicated that the rifle was sold through the DCM classified as being in "Unserviceable" condition. Some stocks have been noted with an "S S" marking to indicate being in "Serviceable" condition.

Hope this helps.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 04-14-2013 at 07:21.

Thanks for the confirmation and information, guys. Any other thoughts out there about this rifle?

"U S" for "unserviceable" seems like quite a stretch to me, but I guess it is possible.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Teddydog View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation and information, guys. Any other thoughts out there about this rifle?

"U S" for "unserviceable" seems like quite a stretch to me, but I guess it is possible.

Rob
    I have heard the same thing about the "SS" and "US" stamps. "Serviceable Surplus" and "Unserviceable Surplus". But with two proof "P"s, I doubt it would be classified "unserviceable". Usually that is a headspace issue. Had it checked?

What we need is someone with a DCM rifle marked with either "SS" or "US" on the stock, and also marked the same way on the box or papers that came with it. Anyone?

Mike

SS means it was inspected and passed ( or repaired and passed ) by inspectors before being shipped out.
    The buyer paid for this service.
    US means it was pulled and shipped with only a quick look over at no charge.
    Because these came from storage and most were never reissued after rebuild , most SS and US rifles would be exactly the same in condition.
    Chris

That is a very nice looking rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    I have heard the same thing about the "SS" and "US" stamps. "Serviceable Surplus" and "Unserviceable Surplus". But with two proof "P"s, I doubt it would be classified "unserviceable". Usually that is a headspace issue. Had it checked?

What we need is someone with a DCM rifle marked with either "SS" or "US" on the stock, and also marked the same way on the box or papers that came with it. Anyone?

Mike
    Mike,

I have no information regarding the meaning of the U S and S S stampings on M'03-A3 rifles. I'm only repeating what someone once posted on a forum.

I am, however, aware that many M'03-A3 rifles were sold in unserviceable condition. And the only reason they were classified as unserviceable was because no money was available to inspect and certify them as being in serviceable condition. The unserviceable classification had nothing to do with the actual condition of the rifle.

J.B.