Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    If you disassembel the rifle don't take out the trigger guard. You are almost 100% assured to take wood out with it. Ask me how I know.....

Oops, I went back and looked at the photo... Looks like someone already took it out! I rest my case. ;^)

Nice rifle. I wish it was mine.
    Thanks for the explanation and the warning. I don't tend to monkey with any more disassembly than I have to with firearms. I suppose I will correct those bands though. LOL

BTW, I paid $800 for the rifle and sling. From what I can tell from pictures on Al Frasca's sight and GB, I think I did okay.
    NRA Life Member

Last I knew, original slings were going for a buck-thirty. Good for you.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Prices sure have changed. I bought my fiorst trapdoor for $45. Of course that was over 50 years ago

According to the inflation calculator, $45 in 1963 equals $350 today. I think we now add on to that the increased collectibility of firearms like these, along with the laws of supply and demand and voila . . . I want to cry every time I see a chopped up Krag but when they were cheap, who would have thought twice?

What surprises me more is how some other firearms prices have skyrocketed recently. At this same gun show Chinese SKSs were going for $400, something I paid $125 for not that long ago. I've read online that some are paying $500 for them and happy to find them at that price.
    NRA Life Member

I bought my first one almost 60 years ago for $15 and my first '61 for $20. But then I was a caddy in the summers for .35 an hour. Prices now are larger, but the bruise in the wallet is still about the same.

Don't remember what I paid for my first, a cut-off mess of parts, when I was in high school, but I paid $75 for my second, a nice, all correct 1873 rifle, 12313, still in the collection.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 04-15-2013 at 01:48.

I took her out for a trial run at the range today and am very happy with her as a shooter too. I stacked two 100 yard targets on top of each other, as I've seen recommended for the battle sight, and I was just to the right of center in a nice little group with the first three shots. This was with Remington 405gr FMJ.

I'm not reloading yet but did order some of the Ultramax Cowboy loads. Any thoughts in general about how the POI will change with the Cowboy loads? I guess I'll see when it comes but was just wondering if stacking targets will be necessary or if it will be closer to battle sight aim at 100 yards.
    NRA Life Member

8. Default

I don't know specifically about the Ultramax Cowboy loads but I shoot light handloads (23 gr. Alliant 2400) with a 405 gr hollow base lead bullet and these hit 10" high at 50 yards with the battle sight. Haven't shot much at 100yds but from what I remember these light loads still hit very high. I guess you will find out soon enough.

I'm using 22.5 grains of 4759 under the Lee hollow based bullet and they are right on with the 1873 sight in my cadet as well as the Buffington in my 1884 and very accurate.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Appreciate the comments and hope to eventually reload for the caliber.

I received the ammo from SGAmmo and apparently I ordered Winchester Cowboy Action LFN 405gr loads, not the Ultramax. They list the muzzle velocity @ 1150 fps. I'll take a trip to the range when I get a day off and see how it shoots.
    NRA Life Member