Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reloading Military Ball 30-06 Cases

I am going to reload a couple hundred M2 Ball (30-06) cases, and I'm looking for a good way to remove the primer crimp. I tried to prime a case today, and damaged three primers before I figured out the lip left by the primer crimp was the problem. Want is the best way to remove that so I can prime my cases?

Thanks in advance!
    Paul

you have your choice of a swageer or a trimmer-I use a Hornady primer pocket trimmer
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...=382&_from=R40

If those 200 are the only GI cases you're ever going to de-crimp, a common case deburring tool will do the job slowly but effectively once you learn how much brass to remove. If you're going to continue collecting GI brass, a pocket swaging die set like the RCBS product will prove cost-effective.

4. Default

I use a tool similar to the Hornady, I believe it's made by Lyman. $7 or $8 at Cabellas if I remember correctly.

Drill bit works.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

I reload ALOT of military brass. I bought the Dillon Super swedge. Expensive but does a great job if you have thousands of cases.

Well, I don't have thousands... but since I intend on only shooting Ball ammo in my Garand, I expect to only be using military brass from here on out. When I reload, it will be with FMJ bullets, and most likely 4064. All in all, I have around 250 rounds of military brass (mostly US Ball). Also, I have around 300 rounds of Ball ammo waiting for the zombies to appear (of the next National Match, which ever comes first). I like the idea of the RBCS swage, which looks easy to use and effective! I thought about using my case de-burr reamer, but I just don't have the hand strength to hold 200 some odd cases and turn the tool any more.

Thanks for your help everyone! Much obliged!
    Paul

The RCBS Swage has done the best job for me, but it's slow. I finally bought a Dillon, which every once in a while doesn't get all the crimp out of the way, and I have to use a chamfer tool.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    Drill bit works.
    saw a reloaded US 5.56 case that someone had removed the crimp with a drill, let go at the primer pocket once, (fired thru a Colt AR 15.........) pieces of primer came back & hit the white portion of the shooters R eye..... and into his R hand. The magazine was destroyed.........Mike was a USN pilot stationed on the Big E & had to have extensive testing before he was returned to flight status.

Quit being cheap & stupid buy using a drill or a knife.... buy a Dillon primer pocket swager, they give you both small primer pocket & large primer pocket swaging rods with it..... It is very simple to use & you can quickly swage the pockets of a 1000 , 5.56 cases once you get into it. It'll outlast you, your kids & their great grandkids........ & fairly cheap too.

I've never used the Hornady or the RCBS swagers, so I cannot comment on em.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter