Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Flip Sight Fake or Real?

Thanks for advice guys.

2. Default

Is the sight leaf marked .U. The fakes are real good these days need better pics with flash. It would be an Inland sight if the leaf is unmarked but the mill marks in the side look odd. post a pic with the tall aperture up from the front and another from the top straight down.
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 04-05-2013 at 08:04.

3. Default

Johnny, Thanks for help. Here are other pictures.

Some of the Inland sights were marked in addition to the S. This is an early Du-Lite blue sight with the W-I marking on the leaf.

5. Default

I think it is original to the carbine and real

6. Default

Thanks Johnny for looking it over. I'm guessing it is too. It s high probability but from what I'm learning here on the forum these things are never certainties. I guess the Germans had it right when they stamped SN numbers even on the screws of the old Mausers. Once again thanks for your learned opinion. --albert
    ..._._

I am not sure I like the look of those milling marks on the side of the base. They look a lot like those on the flip sights from certain sources in CA and MN. I will look at my real and repro Underwood sights and compare.

8. Default

Thanks Mike

It's a real Underwood sight.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think the OP's flip sight is real. The milling marks on the side are too uniform. The upper corners on the base are too rounded. The font of the "S" on the base is shaped wrong and is stamped much deeper that is the usual case. If the sight was removed, I would expect to see heavy circular milling on the base. I learned the hard way on this one, buying from a well known, respected, Carbine Club member who stung many others. I may very well be wrong, but that is my call from looking at couple of real Underwood flip sights and a high grade repro Underwood sight.