Question Help ID this scope and mount

First the scope. It's a one piece tube with no adjustment turrets on it. It's about 15.5 inches long and I'd imagine 7/8" in diameter. It's brass and heavy. I'd guess it's about a 3 or 4x magnification. It's got a plex reticle. It was originally in the mount that I'll discuss below but I replaced it with a slightly newer vintage Weaver B4 because it was kind of dim. There are no markings on this scope that I can find and I've looked a lot. It's got a dull black paint over brass. The only way I figured out it was brass was that there are some scratches in the paint from the years of use. Some folks seem to think it may be a Wollensak? Next the mount. It's been swapped between an old Winchester single shot .22 and Springfield .22 auto for a few decades. I've found no markings yet. It's quite an interesting contraption. They look is great. So, what have I got and do they have any value. I was going to let me little boy keep the scope and pretend to be a pirate with a spy glass. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a spotter scope for a field piece.

It actually has cross hairs in it and it was mounted on the pictured Springfield for many years. I shot a prairie dog with it in that configuration about 25 years ago when I was a kid and you could walk around in the sage and shoot what you wanted.

pdc, what you have is a Sears Ranger Mount, and what I believe to be a Mossberg No 6 Scope (the one not mounted). It's my guess that Mossberg made the mount for Sears as well, however, Wollensak is a good guess too, but since the scope is a Mossberg, I'd lean in that direction.

It is a unique mounting system, and the later ones were made out of a lightweight alloy. It's a very cool looking combo, most especially in as good a condition as yours is in. They are so unusual and neat that I'd not take less than $300.00 for the mount with the Mossberg scope that you show in the pictures. Whatever you do, try to keep the scope and mount mated with the rifle that it came with, and if both rifles were made to accept the same combo, I'd keeping both of them for the boy, because the vast majority of them have been separated from the rifles and scopes they came with. I have one on my Winchester Model 67 rifle.

James

I have several Moss. scopes and rifles. I collect them. Several are without turrent adjustments and were made back in the 30's for mounts with adjustments. They seem to run about 14-1/4" in length and one is 15-1/2 (approx.). None I have, have two 'slide' adjustments on the tube only one, I did not check my "spares" however. Mossberg never marked their scopes and the model number came from the mount---any scope in a #6 mount was a #6, in another mount the number changed. Once they are separated you can not really say which was which. With the turent scopes this practice changed. However the book does show a two 'slide' scope mounted in a # 6 mount and this scope (in appearance, pics are very poor). Also shows same scope with a 7C mount, dove tail bases like a Unertl. I would agee with JWM, the scope is probably Moss. If the oringinal rifle/scope combo was made by Moss. for Sears, it would have a Moss. mount. The Ranger name was used for rifles of several makers by Sears. Have no idea what the mount is worth but the scope, if in VG to excellent would be about 100 or less.
    Last edited by dave; 05-29-2013 at 07:22.

Dave: Thanks for the supporting comments. It's my belief that the scope pictured will be the No. 6, which has a length of 15.375 inches, as noted in Stroebel's book on old scopes. I base this on having seen but only three other like scopes with the Sears Ranger Mount, and each of them had this length and style of scope, which is a bit different in length than the other types of No 6 scopes like the A, C, etc. I also recall that Sears had rifles they called the Ranger as well.

James
    Last edited by JWM; 05-29-2013 at 10:26.