Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Chris I think your worrying about nothing in this case. IF another primer should slam fire and that is unlikely the rest won't follow and empty the magazine. As I said in the case I had there was only the one sensitive primer in the whole bunch. It's not something that makes the whole lot bad. Just one out of millions that gets a little bit too much compound in it or the cup is too thin when it was made. As long as your cases have no high primers in them you should be good to go.

And I also beleave this to be the case. The only concern is that there are more of these sensitive primers in this lot. With the testing, was unable to find any more so far, no more slam fires. I prime with a lee hand primer, and primers get looked at twice and tested on a surface plate. before they go through the dillon 550 for a powder charge, bullet and crimp. Don't use the dillon to size, or prime because I have found that M1 carbine and .223 for that matter, always need a trim after firing. I don't run a M1 carbine round like I would run a 38 spcl or a 45 acp through the dillon because of the required trim. Still haven't decided what to do with these primed cases yet. Primers are hard to come by these days, but grandkids are a much bigger issue.
    Chris

3. Default

On active duty, we did not have slam fires in M1, M14, and the M1/M2 carbine but its becoming obvious, these weapons in civilian hands
    produce this malfunction. Poor reloading techniques account for most instances, single round loading .. maybe and may be not. Gunk
    encrusted bolts most likely.
    No offense but ..... if you have not done a detailed cleaning of the bolt, you are heading to a slam fire at some point and if you don't inspect
    reloads for deeply seated primers, you are at risk of a slam fire.

No offense taken. But in this case bolts detail stripped all the way down, very lite oil, and very little at that. No poor reloading techniques, just sensitive primers, and it could end up being just that 1 primer. Oh, and by the way, these carbines, and a Underwood mark the primers the same way with my reloads or US GI ball. ( LC-72 ) All of this after inspecting primer seating twice. Has to have been a sensitive primer. The reason for posting this thread and the good discussion fellow CSP members, was to make people realize that this CAN happen, and to watch out for it. After being in the military, I know that some of the worse maintenance happens there when the property doesn't belong to you. Us civilian owners often take much better care of gear after their service than they ever got during. But, that said, single round loading without a mag, guilty as charged
    Last edited by Chris W.; 03-31-2013 at 05:19. Reason: extra info