Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 1898 Krag pick up...

Here are some pics of an 1898 Krag I acquired over the weekend. It was made in 1901 and it's in pretty nice shape. None of the screws have been buggered and the blueing is intact though the metal is covered with a hardened skim coat of old grease that needs to be removed. All markings on the metal & wood are crisp and sharp. The top of the butt stock is unit marked to the Rhode Island Naval Battalion. It looks like the Naval Battalion didn't take their guns out much.

Pretty sweet looking Krag, my friend! Awesome!!!

Very nice!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

That is one of the nicest looking Krags I have ever seen - it's basically brand new.

I would do nothing more than rub a bit of oil on it. That metal looks great as does the whole rifle. Great score. Rick B

Len,

That one is nicer than any I've seen in museums or anywhere else for that matter.What you say - it probably never got out of the arms locker. Never fired, never dropped. Good luck with it.

jn

Wow! You did Realy well! Would you mind telling us how much it cost?

Everyone has already said it for me! Wow.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

9. Default

Thanks for your kind comments guys. I seem to be on a roll with Krags lately. Fred, the rifle set me back six hundred bucks. The seller gave me his "friends & family discount" beacause "no one wants these old things anymore".

Len
    Last edited by Len; 03-26-2013 at 04:46.

It may be just my opinion but at six bills I think you paid way less than half what a rifle like that is worth. I am really happy for you.

I'm gonna hate myself for saying this but that rifle is almost too nice to be shooting.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.