Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sks Question

1. Default Sks Question

I know this isn't an SKS forum but i figured I would give it a shot. I have a couple of SKS's Chinese . One has a what looks to be a fiberglass stock and a blade bayo the other looks to have a plastic stock with the spike style bayo. Both are numbers matching. one with plastic stock doesn't have any import marks and the one with fiberglass stock and spike bayo is import marked and says made by Norinco. Is one more valuable than the other? Are these more collectible because of the stocks?
    Any help would be great!!

Having the bayonets attached adds to the collectability, most Chicom imported models do not have the bayonets. The red plastic (jungle) stocks used to go for a bit of a premium. Screwed in barrels sell for a bit more than the "crush fit" examples. I would give a slight edge in collectability to the plastic stock version.

Without seeing your rifles, all matching rifles with the bayonets and screw in barrels in good condition I would estimate value at $350.00 $400.00 where I live. Where you live does matter because price will vary with location, along with how anxious you are to make a sale.

On the import marks, on some of these rifles the import marks are very faint and on the barrel over the bayonet mounting.
    Last edited by Art; 03-25-2013 at 01:41.

3. Default

Art, Thanks for the info. Not really looking to sell right now. They are both in about 99% condition. Both have screw in barrels. As far as import mark I see one plan as day on one rifle but I looked really hard on the other and see nothing!

Who made the one with no mark? If it was made outside of the US the law says it has to have the mark. The only exception to this I have ever seen on a SKS was one that was taken home from Nam by an officer and I am not sure that was even legal.
    "In God We Trust"

Anyone could bring back an SKS from Nam as long as they had the proper paper work. A few AK-47's made it back too. Some with paper work from early on in the war and some without paper work later on. Basically if your CO signed off on it you were all set and the firearm returned home with you or was shipped home.

6. Default

I thought the same thing when I got it. Wasn't sure why it didn't have an import mark.

I believe the importer marking of firearms was enacted by the Gun Control Act of 1968.
    Last edited by gwp; 03-26-2013 at 10:19.

Quote Originally Posted by gwp View Post
    I believe the importer marking of firearms was enacted by the Gun Control Act of 1968.
    The GCA of 1968 banned the importation of milsurps. The import marking was required when that provision was removed and Milsurps began to be imported again about 20 years ago.

Due to hysteria and stupidity SKS prices are up around $700 now. The $350 qouted previously is the correct SANE price. Even that seems high to me but it is the normal average.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

10. Default

Thank you