Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 455 Webley MkVI reloading

I just picked up a Webley 455 MkVI revolver that I'm looking for cases, dies, and bullets or a mould. Used items would be fine as I' not planning on shooting it alot.
    I'm wondering if you can use Long Colt dies for sizing the 455 cases as I have those dies, If so I wouldn't have to buy dies then. Thanks, Ray

Default You do not say...

whether your revolver has had the cylinder 'shaved' for use with .45 Auto ammo in clips. Many of these revolvers in the U.S. have been altered that way: mine has been, and I use .45 AutoRim brass in it, sized and loaded with standard .45 Auto dies. It is certainly possible that the .45 Colt dies would work: the sizer should, anyway, though the expander and seater may be too long to work properly with the shorter .455 or .45 Auto/AR brass. In either case, you would need a correct shell holder for the .455 or .45 AR brass.
    Also, FWIW, those MK VI revolvers I've measured all have chamber mouths running .450" to .451" in diameter, and groove diameters not over .453" - I use 255 gr. moly-coated hard cast bullets of .452" diameter (from Bear Creek Supply) in the .45AR cases, loaded to 600 FPS, which about duplicates the original British military load, and shoots extremely well. It is not necessary to hunt for larger diameter bullets (.455" - .456"), since they will be squeezed-down more than necessary and will shoot no better, if as well, as the .452" ones. You should not load to full .45 Auto pressures or velocities - such loads are harder on the revolver, and the original type is more pleasant to shoot, as well as being effective and accurate. Neither should you shoot jacketed bullets, which are hard on the barrel and unnecessary as well as more expensive.
    mhb - Mike

Thanks Mike, sorry forgot to mention it's original .455 and hasn't been shaved. I checked and the shell holder is the same as the .303 british case and I have one.
    I checked and I see that Western bullet Co has cast hollow base bullets for the Webley, that's what they original shot so the cylinder dia bumps up to the bore dia. See here. http://www.westernbullet.com/ra45255grhb.html They would probably work well in the 45acp ones also in doing that.
    Another question I have, would the 45 auto rimed cases work in the .455 in lieu of original 455 cases in case I can't find 455 cases as I checked and some companies are out of the 455 cases? Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 03-26-2013 at 02:56.

Default Ray:

Unfortunately, the .45 AR case rim is MUCH thicker than the .455 rim, and so the AR case will not work in the unaltered Webley - the rims could probably be lathe-turned thinner, but that would require a lathe and a great deal of work.
    I was aware that original style bullets and molds are available for the Webley, but have found that the available .452" bullets shoot at least as well and are cheaper. I don't know what the British were thinking when they designed the revolver with a chamber mouth diameter so much smaller than the bullet, and a groove diameter larger than the bullet after passing through the chamber mouth and being drastically reduced in diameter. Even if the soft lead hollowbase bullet would squash down and then expand again to fit the contortions, why bother?
    And, as I said, the hard cast moly-coated bullets shoot very well, indeed, and do not lead the bore at all.
    I prefer to do things the easy way whenever possible, and in this case, the results are as good as can be obtained from the revolver, without the extra trouble and expense.
    Good luck!
    mhb - Mike

I get my bullets from BIll Benny bill10@verizon.net He has the 250gr Navy Wad cutter and the traditional 260 round nose. Both are sized 454dia. He is very reasonable, ships fast.

Pic of Navy Wadcutter

I load 5gr's Unique in more modern Webleys, S&W's and Colt's. 4gr's Unique in Older guns.

Bruce what does he charge per 100, Ray

Ray I don't remember but it is very reasonable. He's a really nice guy, excellent caster. Shoot him some mail.

Bruce checked with him and they are only 16.50 with shipping. You mentioned they are sized .454 dia. Do you have a problem with them being too large for the chambers and the case dia. I think, but of course I might be wrong, but the original bullet was .452 as that is what the chambers are. Ray

He wrote back and stated they are sized at .455. I believe the original bullets were sized at .452 as that is what the dia of the cylinder is supposed to be and then they bump up to .455 in the bore because of the hollow base, Ray

Mine shoot great in 4 different 455's. He's good people to deal with.