Default Musculus, A question for you & anyone else?

Hi, I have an 1873 TD that I`ve sportized & cut & recrowned the barrel to 24" There are pics of it on this TD section. I shoot Rem 405g .458dia JFNSP bullets out of it in front of 34g of Reloder 7 & it shoots fine. My problem is, I have bullets, brass, & primers, but no powder. I can`t find any . I`m old school, so I don`t want to try any other smokeless powders even if I could find any. BP powder is no problem for me, so could I use BP behind the jacketed bullets, & if so what load (grains) would you recomend? I know BP is measured in volume as I shoot C & B revolvers also. Would you advise putting a lubed wade between powder & bullet to keep fouling down? Thank you in advance OTD

You're using jacketed bullets in an original trapdoor barrel?

If so, then that barrel isn't going to last very long.

OTD, roughly what size groups do you consider "fine"? Honest question as to what that load yields - not being a smart-ass. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Wood View Post
    You're using jacketed bullets in an original trapdoor barrel?

If so, then that barrel isn't going to last very long.
    I`ve been shooting jacketed bullets out of this rifle for over 4 years (aprox 800 rounds) & it shoots the same today as back then. The copper is much softer then the steel in the barrel. By the way, I shoot 200yds & put them in a 8 in" bull. With lead bullets which I have tried, it doesn`t even hit the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    OTD, roughly what size groups do you consider "fine"? Honest question as to what that load yields - not being a smart-ass. Thanks.
    Dick, as stated in my latest post out to 200yds, I can put them in a 8" bull. I think that is fine for a TD with the barrel cut to 24" & recrowned.

I agree!

It does make sense to me though that - after ones gets EVERYTHING right - not, apparently a simple task! - that lead would probably shoot the best of all.

Most have trouble trying to shoot lead bullets that are too small in diameter and/or cast of too hard an alloy. An alloy of 30:1 lead to tin with a bullet of 400 to 500 grs cast about 0.460" diameter and lubed with a proper black powder lube will do magnificently out of a Trapdoor. If the alloy is too hard or the diameter too small the bullet won't "bump up" to fill the grooves and will be inaccurate and likely lead the barrel. Shooting your 0.458" diameter jacketed bullet, especially with smokeless powder may lead to gas cutting of the barrel by blow bye high pressure propellant gases.

My 1884 likes the SAECO 881 500gr bullet cast at 0.460 sitting on top of 70grs of compressed FFg. I also use the Lee 405gr hollow base bullet over 59grs of FFg for a carbine type load. The latter shoots very well out of Bo's Trapdoor with its pristine bore, but only OK out of my rifle's not so perfect bore.

Jerry Liles