Thread: Who makes a great Savage aftermarket barrel?

1. Default Who makes a great Savage aftermarket barrel?

I have a Savage Mod. 12BVSS in .308 Winchester (target style stock with heavy barrel). I'd like to give it a .22-250 barrel for varmint shooting. Where do I go?

Thanks for any advice.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pillot View Post
    I have a Savage Mod. 12BVSS in .308 Winchester (target style stock with heavy barrel). I'd like to give it a .22-250 barrel for varmint shooting. Where do I go?

Thanks for any advice.
    There are quality barrel makers listed on a lot of the gun forums. Shilen, Pac-Nor, Lilja, Krieger, Hart, Douglas, etc., are just a few to mention. Some will fit barrels to actions, some will not. Some are cut rifled, some are button rifled, depends on what you want.

http://www.6mmbr.com/barrels.html

If you want to re-barrel yourself then look at prefit barrels from McGowan, Pac-Nor, Northland Shooters Supply, etc. They are all listed on gun forums such as Savage Shooter. Prefits on Savage rifles are easy to do if you have a vise, barrel nut wrench, and a set of headspace gauges. If you don't want to fit it yourself then buy the barrel and have a local gunsmith fit and headspace. Some sellers such as Northland have Savage factory barrels if that suits you. There are all kinds of choices.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?