Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Currious about double bayonet lugs on recent purchase?

I just bought my first Mauser and while examaning it found what looks like two bayonet lugs near the muzzle? I know pics are kind of dark but,

Can anyone give me some insight into the origin of this, please? Not many markings on this rilfe other than cal. 7.92 followed by boxed in p and p? Thought rifle was a K98 but, bayonet lugs has me wondering, now? Lugs look like original bayo lug convered by front band covering original lug?
    Sorry for the GIANT size, I'm playing with a new camera and software.
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 03-23-2013 at 12:00.
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

I'm absolutely no expert. This was done to allow a different style of bayonet to be mounted on that rifle. I think it was common with certain South American orders, but I don't know which, or whether it was common to any others.

That would appear to be the setup of the Spanish M43. The adaptor allowed for the use of the M1893 bayonet. There is a discussion about this and other "scrubbed" Mausers @ "Scrubbed Brazillion Mauser" 03-12-2013 in this section. From what I've observed the "scrubbed" M43's (I have one, and have seen a few @ gunshows) appear to be either new or arsenal refurbished. None that I've seen appear to have been issued. All that I've seen have only the markings which you've noted on the left side of the receiver, just above the wood line.. It would seen that at some point after WWII somebody was in the market for Mausers but the sellers didn't want their national identity on them, likely due to issues of neutrality.

NOTE: There is also a Spanish M44, which is very similar to the M43 other than is has only one set of sling mounts (on the left side of the stock) , no adaptor for the older bayonet, and protective side wings on the front sight, kind of like the U.S. M1917. It seems that M44's were commonly used by the Spanish Air Force. In the previously mentioned discussion on the "Scrubbed" Brazillion Mauser I noted that I owned an M44. That was a mistake, I have an M43.

5. Default

I recently took this Mauser out again to examine closer and found these quirous marks?
    this looks to be tool marks in the stock but it's everwhere on the stock?

the only thing that resembles a serial number on this gun

these mark or proofs are all over any metal parts(looks like a group of flowers)

Another question, how do I determine if this is a Spanish Mauser?
    Thanx, Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 08-06-2013 at 09:42.

6. Default

The "double" bayonet adaptor is common on mausers from Spain and some South American countries. Allows the use of an older bayonet, which was apparently available in quantity.

The Artgintine model 1891 and 1909 are excellent examples of this use of old Bayo's on newer rifles. The bar type was adopted by Mauser in 1898 , earlier models had the lug on the bottom of front band. They had many of the old bayos in excellent condition so instead of buying new ones they had the adoptor added and used the old model bayo's. Also had the advantage of being able to go to new bayo's by just removing the adoptor.

You can show a picture of the to of the receiver if you want a definitive answer but basedon what you have already shown it is a Spanish Mauser. Could be a '43 or '44.
    Last edited by twh; 08-01-2013 at 03:42.

9. Default

Then tell me what the proof mark is? Is this on all Spanish Mausers? I confess ignorance but, getting information from you guys is like pulling teeth.
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 08-01-2013 at 05:44.

Getting good clear pics of all markings from you is also "like pulling teeth"! It appears the rifle has had all the markings scrubbed (or ground off). Those may be proofs/inspection stamps on side but also could be part of import mark. Caliber is hardly ever marked on a rifle by the using country, but is required by import regs. Definatly not a K98k and certainly Spanish, made in Spain. Exact model? who can tell?