Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Definitely an M43, one of those which were apparently arsenal refurbished under a post WWII contract to supply what we might call "clandestine" interests. Most standard Spanish arsenal markings were "scrubbed" and new markings, including it seems a new serial number, applied. All of this lot that I've seen have fairly low serial #'s (mine is 78XX), bolt and receiver #'s match but not floor plates etc. Typical too is the fact that the barreled receiver is parkerized, rather than blued. ALL of the rifles which I've seen of this configuration appear to be in newly refurbished condition, I've yet to see one with any field wear on it whatsoever. Standard Spanish M43's or not uncommon at gun shows, but they always show considerable wear and they do have the expected Spanish government markings in them. All of these rifles that I've seen were imported prior to the 1968 embargo (AKA: 1968 Gun control Act). I suspect that the caliber designation on the receiver ring, which would not commonly be found on standard, government issued M43's, was applied for the benefit of the intended "end users" of these contract rifles; many of whom might not be the best trained personnel. Surplus arms imported prior to 68 required no markings by the U.S. government. My hunch would be that the intended buyer of these weapons never took delivery for who knows what reasons and they laid in some warehouse. I have old Rifleman magazines from the early 60's with advertisments offering "like new" Spanish M43's. That's probably when this bunch of guns made their way to the U.S. NOTE: a condition of the mid 1980's legislation, which once again allowed the import of surplus military arms for civilian sale, was that the weapon had to be stamped with the name of the importer/distributor and caliber.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Definitely an M43, one of those which were apparently arsenal refurbished under a post WWII contract to supply what we might call "clandestine" interests. Most standard Spanish arsenal markings were "scrubbed" and new markings, including it seems a new serial number, applied. All of this lot that I've seen have fairly low serial #'s (mine is 78XX), bolt and receiver #'s match but not floor plates etc. Typical too is the fact that the barreled receiver is parkerized, rather than blued. ALL of the rifles which I've seen of this configuration appear to be in newly refurbished condition, I've yet to see one with any field wear on it whatsoever. Standard Spanish M43's or not uncommon at gun shows, but they always show considerable wear and they do have the expected Spanish government markings in them. All of these rifles that I've seen were imported prior to the 1968 embargo (AKA: 1968 Gun control Act). I suspect that the caliber designation on the receiver ring, which would not commonly be found on standard, government issued M43's, was applied for the benefit of the intended "end users" of these contract rifles; many of whom might not be the best trained personnel. Surplus arms imported prior to 68 required no markings by the U.S. government. My hunch would be that the intended buyer of these weapons never took delivery for who knows what reasons and they laid in some warehouse. I have old Rifleman magazines from the early 60's with advertisments offering "like new" Spanish M43's. That's probably when this bunch of guns made their way to the U.S. NOTE: a condition of the mid 1980's legislation, which once again allowed the import of surplus military arms for civilian sale, was that the weapon had to be stamped with the name of the importer/distributor and caliber.
    Thank you very much for helping a dummy learn.
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    That would appear to be the setup of the Spanish M43. The adaptor allowed for the use of the M1893 bayonet. There is a discussion about this and other "scrubbed" Mausers @ "Scrubbed Brazillion Mauser" 03-12-2013 in this section. From what I've observed the "scrubbed" M43's (I have one, and have seen a few @ gunshows) appear to be either new or arsenal refurbished. None that I've seen appear to have been issued. All that I've seen have only the markings which you've noted on the left side of the receiver, just above the wood line.. It would seen that at some point after WWII somebody was in the market for Mausers but the sellers didn't want their national identity on them, likely due to issues of neutrality.

Go back and read the above again. Its the second answer to your original post, by kcw. That said it all to begin with! Pulling teeth? Shesssse!

4. Default

I'm especailly interested in finding out what this mark is and who used it, please?

Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Argentine M 1909 7.65 The double bayou mount was to let it use a boyou other then the original. Looks like rebarreled for 7.92 (8x57) Mauser. WW1 last ditch? More picts would help. Fun stuff.