Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Are there any alternatives to Case Lube?

Are there any alternatives to case lube? I lost my old tub and I swear, its being hoarded like everything else...... Could not find it any where,. But does anyone know of anything else that could be used? The stuff I had could also be used as saddle soap, can saddle soap be used?

I use to use Dillon Spray Lube then I started making my own. I use a product called "Fluid Film" and alcohol solvent. The fluid film costs $10.00 per can but you mix it with a little lacquer thinner to start the mix and then add the alcohol. I think a can of the fluid film would make maybe 5 gallons of case lube. Don't use around sparks or open flame. Just pour the mix in a spray bottle and coat the cases.

How about powdered graphite?

Plain cheap castor oil is one of the slickest case lubricants available. Small bottles can be found at drugstores, larger quantities at model airplane hobby suppliers. For those who like to spray, it can be dissolved in alcohol and applied with a common pump-type spray bottle.

5. Default

Thank you guys for the help. I am going to try the castor oil because I can find it. I would love to try the graphite, but the only place I have ever found it was napa and they are out. Thank you for saving my Sunday!

Blog Entries

I've heard of people using Pam veggie oil spray, but never attempted it myself.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Lanolin, STP, liquid soaps, some types of wax.

Jerry Liles

Crisco vegetable shortening, it's worked for me for years. Your wife probably has a can in the refridg or on the shelf.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

9. Default

PAM or any store brand equivilent.

Use sparingly; a little goes a long way. A light spray in a bag or over a tub; toss like a salad to distribute.

De-grease your die afterwards with any good solvent (eg, carb cleaner, mineral spirits, etc). The soybean oil will oxidize and gum up if left too long.

Maury

I use 80-90 gear oil on a stamp pad. A quart will last a lifetime. I have never stuck a case and it wipes off easily with a towel.