Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    OK, so the Brits use "furniture" to mean the stock of the rifle? Is that correct? One of you English members please answer.
    Furniture = all the woodwork (Then there is butt, forearm, handguards etc as individual parts)

I'd suggest that bands, screws (metalwork) etc are 'hardware'
    Last edited by Alan De Enfield; 03-28-2013 at 06:04.

Gorilla glue is trash in my opinion. I will not use it anymore....period. It's too foamy and just does not hold up in the long term. So far, plain elmers wood glue has done wonders for me but i feel I have just been lucky. I agree with JB a good epoxy is probably your best bet.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Furniture means wood to me. In America we say chair when we talk about a wooden chair but METAL chair when talking about a non wooden chair. To me furniture means wood. But then, I have had a fondness for Enfields for a while.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan De Enfield View Post
    Furniture = all the woodwork (Then there is butt, forearm, handguards etc as individual parts)

I'd suggest that bands, screws (metalwork) etc are 'hardware'
    That makes sense, thank you. I guess Patton was correct, a common people separated by different language! My family, for the most part came from England but its a long time ago!
    Last edited by dave; 03-28-2013 at 09:42.

Well . . . first, the phrase is ". . . are one people separated by a common language". I myself believe it was first used by Winston Churchill although it's been attributed to everybody and his aunt Gussie, with many try to attribute it to George Barnard Shaw while admitting he only made a generally similar comment and never actually used those words.

I've always used the term "furniture to refer to the metal bits that attach to the stock, but I obviously have been wrong because dictionary.com/World English Dictionary (whatever that is) defines it as "the wooden parts of a rifle", and if it's on the internet it MUST be true.
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 03-28-2013 at 01:30.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

6. Default

The rifle was built at RSAF Enfield in 1917, and the wood is a darker reddish-brown, even on the underside. These cracks have been glued once already. The wood is pretty beat up. I think the rifle needs new(er) wood.

Quote Originally Posted by frankenstein View Post
    The rifle was built at RSAF Enfield in 1917, and the wood is a darker reddish-brown, even on the underside. These cracks have been glued once already. The wood is pretty beat up. I think the rifle needs new(er) wood.
    That may be corrected if properly done. Once again, photos would help immensely in steering you in the right direction. We have no way of knowing whether your rifle is wearing original wood, WW2 replacement, early Ishapore walnut replacement, later RFI post-'51 timber..or something else. There are simply too many variables involved. You must also keep in mind that there are no drop-in replacements. New wood MUST be fitted. Used wood..you may get lucky but odds are you'll need to scrape, chisel, and/or shim or replace wood at the draws to get it shooting right.

With photos, you might be better off replacing than repairing depending upon overall condition. We can't see therefore we don't have a clue. What may be 'beat up' to one person is valueable history to the next. (actually most if you want to maintain resale value)
    Last edited by JB White; 03-29-2013 at 10:22.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Well, I'm English and as far as I'm concerned "furniture" is
    something you sit on.
    As for the rifle, I have only one, therefore I'm not qualified to offer an opinion.

9. Default Furniture

When I was a boy some of the real old-timers referred to horse tack as "furniture." The idea was that "furniture" was something you added to make something that was already useful even more useful.

An empty house is useful as a shelter. Putting "furniture" in it makes it more useful.

A rifle without a stock is not generally very useful, so the stock is essential to the rifle's usefulness and is not, therefore, "furniture."

The English word is derived from French and Middle English words that mean "to supply" or "furnish." Hence the word should only be used for add-ons that make something more usable, not for the essentials that are necessary for basic use.

Just my 20 Mills,
    Vi
    Last edited by Vi Shooter; 04-14-2013 at 06:11.

Good feedback but brings up the subject of perspective. Fireams are lock, stock and barrel and the terminology is older than we are. Therefore a firearm is useless without a stock of sorts. Anything added to make it more useful like a patchbox, thimbles, rear sight etc are the things which make it more useful than before.

Not arguing. Simply bringing up what someone else eventually will and getting it out there first.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**