Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Who has the best deals on No1Mk3 furniture?

I inherited an SMLE No1Mk3 with cracked / split wood. After a teardown, the wood has been glued once already in all cases, and split again.

In your experience, who has the best deals on good / like new wood?

(As if that weren't enough, I have to drill out my nosecap. The horizontal screw snapped off during disassembly. Maybe I just need a new nosecap/screw.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Clay

Clay,

There are quite a lot of variables to be addressed before we send you off shopping.
    What type of MkIII...from where...what is the history/pedigree...what type of wood will you need?
    Are you sure it needs replacment and cannot be repaired in any way? Sometimes more value is lost by replacement (cost of parts and loss of collectibility) than a much less costly repair...if done correctly.
    Have you ever fitted SMLE timber before?
    Also, what caused the crack? Hate to see you spend money and time only to have it happen yet again.

If you have the ability to post photos then I strongly suggest you do so that we might see what you need. It's really the only way we can steer you right and not to simply brush you off by saying "go here...."
    If you can't post pics due to being unfamiliar with the process, we'll gladly help you there too.

Cheers,

JB

PS. Welcome to the board!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Try Gorilla brand glue and a series of small woodworker's clamps before you buy an unknown replacement stock that will devalue your rifle. Gorilla will glue almost any wood out there that isn't grease and oil soaked to its core. Some of the Indian (Southern Asia) wood won't glue if grease soaked.

Work backwards, i.e., glue the breaks in the order in which they came and be patient. You may spend upwards of a week gluing and waiting as each section must be glued on a solid and successful predecessor. Each is gluing toward a larger and more complete piece, so don't try to reglue the entire stock in one evening.

If all else fails, pins may be inserted to strengthen the finished piece, but Gorilla will handle most stress up to full auto fire without concern, so don't go to the brass rod and screws first thing. Then check eBay as a last resort.
    Last edited by mack; 03-24-2013 at 10:11.

Mack,

As A carpenter I learned to hate Gorilla Glue with a passion. Yes, it works to stick wood together but it's extremely short term compared to TiteBond or two part epoxies. You'll never find GG in my shop again...EVER. It's failure rate under stress is much too high, and it's more of a mess to work with at times too.

Just for the record, 'furniture' refers to the bits and parts attached to a stock (yes metal parts) not the wood itself. Sorry ---I had to say it!

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Just for the record, 'furniture' refers to the bits and parts attached to a stock (yes metal parts) not the wood itself. Sorry ---I had to say it!
    Dave, it does in American English but these are British rifles. The terminology is therefore English English.

Yes but we are not English, now are we? We speak Amer. english. The term dates back to the flintlock area and before and I think it was used here and abroad.

Sure Dave, but this is a British rifle board frequented by members from the UK & Commonwealth. In fact, this particular board wouldn't even exist on this site if it hadn't been for the request of an Aussie over a decade ago when the Gun and Knife site went down. Using the English terms helps keep things in perspective across all the boards.

Surely the terminology used must be relevant to the 'item' under discussion (stripper clips and chargers come to mind) Unless we all use the same then there will be problems and misidentification.
    With the complex UK 'numbering system' with models, marks and 'stars' it is very easy to get confused between a No3 Mk1 and a No1 Mk3 (for example)

The devil is in the detail and we should all pay attention to the detail and correct terminology

OK, so the Brits use "furniture" to mean the stock of the rifle? Is that correct? One of you English members please answer.
    Last edited by dave; 03-28-2013 at 05:49.