Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 300 AAC Blackout

My son-in-law stopped by this evening with some information on the 300AAC Blackout that he has on order. When he first told me about ordering this caliber, I thought he was slightly daft but after doing a little research, I'm almost sold. He is getting his suppressed and it sort of looks like the best of both worlds - supersonic AND subsonic.

Anybody here have any thoughts or experience with this caliber on an AR platform?
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

A couple of years ago a fellow was trying out a AR with .300 black out ammo. He would have been better off with a bolt action rifle as he had to charge every round into the chamber.

The only thing it has over the 7.62x39 is the use of 223 brass and ar magazines. Slightly inferior to the 6.8 spc ballistics. Lotsa info out there. Should be a fun caliber to play with if you reload.

regards, dennis

Bill, There is a nice article on the 300 ACC in the March 20th issue of "The Shotgun News"

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    A couple of years ago a fellow was trying out a AR with .300 black out ammo. He would have been better off with a bolt action rifle as he had to charge every round into the chamber.
    From what I read, powder selection is critical so far as getting the action to cycle reliably with subsonic ammunition.

-- Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Bill, There is a nice article on the 300 ACC in the March 20th issue of "The Shotgun News"
    Thanks! I'll try to find a copy.

-- Robert Frost

Last year I purchased a DS Arms and a Palmetto State Armory complete upper in 300 BLK. The PSA upper took two months to ship and the DSA took over three months to ship. PSA had problems with the chambers. The chambers were out of specification after the double thick chroming of the chamber and bore. PSA delayed shipping until the problem was fixed. DSA was slow because they take orders on products they have not produced, so they fill the order when they make the product.

The DSA upper functioned well. The PSA required the addition of an extractor o-ring before it would function reliably.

Both uppers groups were in the one and two inch range at 100 yards with all the ammunition tested. PNW Arms, Remington/UMC and Gunn Ammunition were tested (110, 125, 130, 147, 155 and 220 grain). I tested a box of PNW and Gunn 220 grain subsonic (ten of each per rifle) and the groups were the largest of the ammo tested. I have not purchased a suppressor so I use the faster ammunition. The tightest groups were with the PNW 125gr Nosier Ballistic Tip. The Remington/UMC 110gr and PNW Range 147gr are the least expensive factory ammunition.

I expect factory 300 BLK ammunition to be in short supply until the supply of .223/5.56 has caught up with the demand for that ammo.

Thanks! Did the 220 grain subsonic ammo you purchased cycle the action reliably?

-- Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Thanks! Did the 220 grain subsonic ammo you purchased cycle the action reliably?
    I did not have problems with the 40 subsonic rounds I shot.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/ hosted by Robert Silvers, has a very positive view of the 300BLK.