Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1903 Which gun do I have

I have a sporterized and it says on the receiver, Remington 1903, serial #3097418, am wandering do I have a 03, or a3-o3, thanks in advance, Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ibohunter; 03-20-2013 at 04:02.

Welcome! Its a M1903. Rem started producing them in late 1941, shifting to M1903A3 about a year later.

Mike

You have a Remington 1903 made about 1942 on WW1 Rock Island Arsonal machinery. As time progressed to save money and speed production Remington started replacing machined parts with stamped parts, added a better battle sight and the rifle was then designated an 1903-A3. By the end of 1943 they were replaced with M1 Garands.

FWIW your receiver was serialized about May, 1942.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

should make a great huntin rifle...safe, strong..and ill bet shoots well. Remington 1903.
    my first hunting rife was a Remington 03, built by my dad, it was stolen in a home burglery when i was 18, id love to get that ol girl back.
    shot my first Mule deer with it.. i learned alot of things from that rifle.. one that Timney triggers are poo poo, and that recoil on your upper leg hurts much more then your shoulder, mark2 safetys are not safe...and that ball ammo, kills a deer with no problem.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

The gun has a 30-06 very heavy target barrel will be used for long range target, so thanks for everything and If I might add, will the gun be safe with full loads?

7. Default

Any safe load should be safe in your rifle, assuming nobody has done anything to it which would render it unsafe. 03 is not the strongest rifle, but surely it is safe for any normal load.

what scope bases would be correct for this rifle, again thanks everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
    Any safe load should be safe in your rifle, assuming nobody has done anything to it which would render it unsafe. 03 is not the strongest rifle, but surely it is safe for any normal load.
    Would you consider a Win 54 or Mod 70 strongest? 70,s were made for some pretty potent cartridges, such as 300 and 375 H&H Mags.
    Both these rifles were based on the SA 1903, and Remingtons were among the strongest 03's made!
    Last edited by dave; 03-20-2013 at 12:03.

since the model 54 and M70 were cheaper copies of the 1903...id say..some flaws in that logic.
    however, with an aftermarket barrel. i would have the headspace checked.
    and any standard load would be just fine. if you handload. just follow the loading data. and youll be fine.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.