Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. Default

Thanks Guff...that is a pretty impressive collection of reloading tools.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

2. Default

Continuing to refine a load for this rifle. Made a quick trip to the range yesterday to do some test firing...this was my best load.

@100 yards, about 1".

3. Default

Calfed, thank you, somewhere in that group is a picture of a 1943 Mauser action that is in the process of being welded back together, no travesty, had the receiver been in one piece I would have never had the opportunity. The original intent of the smith that cut/shortened it had a plan, he wanted a short action, there was nothing suspect about his abilities, he just ran out of time.

F. Guffey

Shooter5 Guest

Calfed:
    Current issue has an decent article about the Persian Mausers. One glaring mistake: by using Ball as a reference, Scarlata does imply the rifles manufactured in Iran were made at a town called "Mosalsalsazi" but which is, in fact, not a city. Instead, that word translates to 'machine-gun factory'. All rifles mfg' in Iran were made in downtown Tehran at the 'machine-gun factory' which was set up with the assistance of the Czechs.

http://www.tactical-life.com/exclusives/persian-mauser/
    Last edited by Shooter5; 10-13-2013 at 06:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    Shooter, I shot some groups during load development.

Found 45.0 and 45.5 grains of IMR 4064 with a 200 grain Nosler CC bullet grouped pretty well, but have had problems with fliers. I intend to refine the load once powder becomes more available.

45.0 grains

45.5 grains
    want to sell me some of those "flyers"
    great groups and i agree those just happen, not the load, think your done

rifles like the one you found do have one thing in common, might be hard to swallow, but still it is there. Years ago i found a GEW98 action, had trigger guard and bolt but that was it, so wth, decided to make a legacy gun for grandson. my deal with him was he got the rifle when he did something above and beyond, finishing high school DID NOT MEET THE CRITERIA, HE WAS EXPECTED TO FINISH HIGH SCHOOL. Not with standing appointed to National Honor Society would do it, a college scholarship he worked for would do it, graduate from Marine Corps boot camp with a stripe would qualify, any boot camp with a stripe would qualify. but just being a good average kid, would not by itself qualify for this rifle
    CUSTOM WALNUT STOCK WITH BRAZILIAN HEART WOOD SPACER AND BIRDSEYEMAPLE FOREND
    GLASS BEDDED
    SATIN FINISH BLUED STEEL
    GENTRY 3 POSITION SAFETY REPLACED MAUSER SAFETY
    SCHILLEN 3006 BARREL, WITH ALL APPROPRIATE WORK DONE FOR ACCURACY
    TIMNEY TRIGGER
    WEAVER 6 POWER (FIFTY YEAR OLD REDONE SCOPE), WEAVER STEEL BASES
    SHOOTS SUBMINUTE GROUP AT 100 YARDS
    Now I did most of the work, not barrel or working on chamber that was done elsewhere, but all woodwork and bedding done by me. and damn if this thing dont shoot.
    i built this thing ten year ago and my oldest grandson has yet to do anything but hang around, does he want it?*** you bet**
    but he knows grand pas deal, if he does not get it by work it goes to the North Carolina Junior Rifle team for auction for funds
    or to a un named other grandchild, have three more grandkids

Last edited by pelago; 10-24-2013 at 12:48.

7. Default

Pelago, for some reason I no longer receive notices when my posts have received answers, so I'm just seeing your post above.

That is a fine-looking, fine-shooting rifle. Congrats on a nice job and I hope you grandson wises up and earns the rights to it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    Pelago, for some reason I no longer receive notices when my posts have received answers, so I'm just seeing your post above.

That is a fine-looking, fine-shooting rifle. Congrats on a nice job and I hope you grandson wises up and earns the rights to it.

Steve
    thanks for the kind words, unfortunately the grandson that i had hoped would earn it, has just not done much of anything. seems content to be nothing, maybe some day he will wake up, but there are others, and my current legacy project will be
    Mauser 98 small ring action (1915 Erfure armory)
    6.5X55
    gentry three position safety
    shilen barrel, moderate wt, will not be a feather weight, but a good sit on stand gun
    custom stock
    timney trigger
    an older weaver scope, have many to chose from might be a 6power wide angle have couple to chose from
    the action seems to marry up with this caliber well
    and if none of my grandsons or granddaughters accomplish something that is above board
    I probably will donate all the lagacy rifles to the NC Juniors to raffle off
    Last edited by pelago; 12-30-2013 at 08:37.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    thanks for the kind words, unfortunately the grandson that i had hoped would earn it, has just not done much of anything. seems content to be nothing, maybe some day he will wake up, but there are others, and my current legacy project will be
    Mauser 98 small ring action (1915 Erfure armory)
    6.5X55

gentry three position safety
    shilen barrel, moderate wt, will not be a feather weight, but a good sit on stand gun
    custom stock
    timney trigger
    an older weaver scope, have many to chose from might be a 6power wide angle have couple to chose from
    the action seems to marry up with this caliber well
    and if none of my grandsons or granddaughters accomplish something that is above board
    I probably will donate all the lagacy rifles to the NC Juniors to raffle off
    Sounds like a great project.

Please post pics of it when it is completed