Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter5 Guest

If you want a nice Persian, OldGuns has one for sale:

http://www.oldguns.net/pix/smof6016.jpg

2. Default

Thanks, Shooter. That is a nice one. I've got several that I brought back from the dead that were not drilled and tapped.
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-09-2014 at 09:17.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Shooter5 Guest

Those turned out nice. There are another 50,000 in the Middle East you can start on next.

4. Default

These two started out as the $190 Samco "no blue" Persians. It appears that someone tried to use a strong cleaner on them that removed the bluing and messed up the wood finish wherever it was applied. It also seems to have hardened the cosmoline into something resembling cured asphalt. I bought three of them and still have one of them that needs "the treatment"

This was typical of the three that I got

5. Default

I also recently glommed this Persian Mauser.

It isn't easy to tell exactly what condition this Mauser is in. It looks to have a fair amount of cosmoline. It is supposed to arrive at my FFL this week. Better pics when it does.

Main reason I bought it...$230 shipped. Almost any 98/29 is worth that, IMHO

Shooter5 Guest

That is an interesting conclusion regarding the chemical stripper: many of the old rifles in Southwest Asia have the blueing stripped off including AKs. I have assumed simple steel wool was used. The reason for this is because folks in that region seem to prefer shiny guns - not blued - and a cheap and simple way to do that without plating (which is done sometimes) would be to scrub the blueing away. Maybe they used chemicals?! Most (if not all) of the Persian Mauser's seen overseas were 'shiny' (ie, blueing was stripped away) and were all well used as shooters. Conversely, the US imports mostly appear intact.
    In addition, Mauser type rifles, or, Brno's as they would often be referred to (Ber-know), were still sought and used for various reasons such as presentations or hunting. The model's most preferred were the short carbines, if they could be found, or the other styles like a Vz24 length. The full-length 'musket' rifles were least preferred but acceptable if nothing else.

7. Default

Looking at the damaged bluing and stock finish, it looks like a chemical stripper, possibly chlorinated, was used. There did not appear to be any scratching or abrasive markings on the metal. And the damage to the stock finish looks like it was chemically caused.

I have an M49 that was lightly sporterized. The only change made was to fill in the sling cut out in the butt. Everything else looks original. I believe it was one of the short carbines made in Iran. It is an easy handling rifle and not a bad shooter, but man is it loud. 8x57 + 18" barrel = lots of decibels.
    Last edited by Calfed; 05-06-2013 at 03:26.

Shooter5 Guest

I've been looking for a Model 49. They are hard to find. How does your's shoot? (More kick and muzzle blast!) But how is the accuracy and grouping compared to the full length rifle?

9. Default

It shoots decently. Probably not as well as the 98/29...but I can't quantify the difference.

10. Default

I finally got a scope mounted on my Argentine Mauser. I ended up needing some higher rings for the scope that I mounted.

I'm hoping to get to the range next week and shoot it.