Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. Default Another Travesty!--Range Report

I know this is going to drive some collectors up the wall, but here goes...

Last year I glommed a beautiful Persian Mauser that someone had drilled and tapped. I knew it had no collector value, but it was priced accordingly and I was interested in using in the "open" class at a military silhouette match that my sons and I shoot in.

Understand that I couldn't do this to a unmolested mil surp myself. Since someone else had already done the dirty work, I could not restrain myself. I finally used it in a couple of the matches and the Persian did pretty well.

Ever since I found this one, I've wanted an Argentine Mauser in the same condition. Well, today I glommed the Ayotollah's South American cousin at an on-line gun auction...

Hoping that this is as good a shooter as the Persian. Better pics when it arrives.
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-09-2014 at 09:15.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Nice rifle. I recently saw 7.65 surplus selling in a large volume, but cannot remember where. I know that Samco has cases of 7mm for sale as well as 8mm.

3. Default

Thanks, Fred.

I reload for these and have gotten good results from IMR 4064. I use 45.0 grains with a 200 gr Nosler Custom Competition in the 8mm and 40.0 grains with a 174 grain SMK in the 7.65.

What a beautiful rifle someone butchered! Well, the toothpaste is out of the tube on that one.

jn

5. Default

I'm no fan of D&T'ing a nice surplus rifle, and would never do that myself, but I do have a use for these.

I've attached the match results from last month's vintage military rifle match. If you scroll down to the "open prone" class, you can see the Persian ran with the best of the other military rifles...beating a number of K31's, Swedish Mausers, and M39's, all of which were also scoped. These are the cream of the crop in accuracy in surplus rifles and the Persian bested them. Ultimately I lost in a shoot off with a buddy who was shooting a scout-scoped Swedish M38, but only after each of us shot 10 rounds. And only then, when the match director had us start shooting off hand.

Ultimately both my buddy and I were beaten by a scoped Finnish 28/76 target rifle.

Shooter5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    I know this is going to drive some collectors up the wall, but here goes...

Last year I glommed a beautiful Persian Mauser that someone had drilled and tapped. I knew it had no collector value, but it was priced accordingly and I was interested in using in the "open" class at a military silhouette match that my sons and I shoot in.

Understand that I couldn't do this to a unmolested mil surp myself. Since someone else had already done the dirty work, I could not restrain myself. I finally used it in a couple of the matches and the Persian did pretty well.

Ever since I found this one, I've wanted an Argentine Mauser in the same condition. Well, today I glommed the Ayotollah's South American cousin at an on-line gun auction...

Hoping that this is as good a shooter as the Persian. Better pics when it arrives.
    Neato, wondering how it will do, have you shot groups with it yet?
    PS: I am sure you are aware...when the 1930s contract was negotiated, the Shah of Iran was in power not an ayatollah.
    Last edited by Shooter5; 03-21-2013 at 09:26.

7. Default

Shooter, I shot some groups during load development.

Found 45.0 and 45.5 grains of IMR 4064 with a 200 grain Nosler CC bullet grouped pretty well, but have had problems with fliers. I intend to refine the load once powder becomes more available.

45.0 grains

45.5 grains

Shooter5 Guest

What the...! You don't need any more load development! Those flyers are trigger pull or the like. Take it to a match! What scope/reticle are you using on it?

9. Default

I've got one of those Bushnell 10x40 Elite 3200 mil-dot scopes on it.

Here it is in fighting trim...

This is one reason why it shoots well
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-09-2014 at 09:16.

Shooter5 Guest

I put the same scope on a Sako Quad. They must have cleaned those rifles immediately after shooting or didn't shoot them much to have such nice bores.